Active Topics

guys, i have been thanking about few ideas about bluetooth headset for N900. However, i am no tech expert, therefore please tell me if i am day-dreaming.

one of the ideas is about using bluetooth headse as an wireless storage. i understand bluetooth headset only support HFP, HSP, or A2DP profiles. however for each bluetooth headset, there is flash for the firmware on board, right? can it be modified to add more profile to support file transfer?

2nd, the is flash to contain firmware for the headset, normally how big is it? can it store any files or programs? and can we modify it or build an interface to allow file management? then how hard to get addional flash memory onto it?

if i am day-dreaming here, please laugh loudly and let me know, also educate me that the design, limitations of bluetooth headset, and how its firmware works with hardware.

many thanks.

Last edited by roja; 2010-10-30 at 14:06.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by roja View Post
i understand bluetooth headset only support HFP, HSP, or A2DP profiles. however for each bluetooth headset, there is flash for the firmware on board, right? can it be modified to add more profile to support file transfer?
Sure, if you have all the needed tools to clear the ROM chip and to re-flash it, and you actually know enough about the hardware to do all the additional code. In short: no one is stupid enough to start doing such.

2nd, the is flash to contain firmware for the headset, normally how big is it? can it store any files or programs? and can we modify it or build an interface to allow file management? then how hard to get addional flash memory onto it?
First of all, there ROM is usually only a few hundred kilobytes big and if there is any space left after the actual ROM image there's only likely about a few tens of kilobytes left at max. Sure, you could perhaps store ONE jpeg-file there, but that's it.

Secondly, the flash chip where the ROM resides is not the same kind of chip that's used in f.ex. USB flash sticks. The ROM chip is not meant to be reprogrammed, and it definitely is not suitable for random read/write access. If the chip can be re-flashed at all the whole chip usually needs to be flashed at once, not just some parts of it.

if i am day-dreaming here, please laugh loudly and let me know
I ain't laughing since it's clear you just don't know anything about these things, but let's just say what you have in mind is in no way feasible and you should just forget it.

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
hi WereCatf,many thanks for your reply and your patient. you are right, i don't know anything about these, and was hoping someone with knowledge could answer my questions.
one more question, for these HFP and HSP profile, voice from bluetooth headset transfer to the phone in what format? data format? and how does phone deal with these "voice data" in real time? store it anywhere?
again, many thanks

[QUOTE=roja;857590for these HFP and HSP profile, voice from bluetooth headset transfer to the phone in what format? data format?[/quote]

It's just one or another compressed binary format, I don't know the actual format as I don't really find it important to know.

and how does phone deal with these "voice data" in real time? store it anywhere?
The same way it handles all voice data: it gets buffered and then output somewhere, depending on whether it's an application receiving the output, the speakers, or a file.

thanks again. for the voice "data", they are created, output in real time, and not store in anywhere?

Originally Posted by roja View Post
thanks again. for the voice "data", they are created, output in real time, and not store in anywhere?
No, it's not stored anywhere unless you have an application that specifically stores it..

WereCatf, many many thanks for answering my questions.
i know my questions may sound silly to you, but i am very keen to understand.

blueheadset support these hand-free profile, does it mean they can only access to the voice handling part of the phone? can iymbe set to for example, using the volume button to zoom in/out? or estabilsh a netweork connection by clicking the answering key? what is defining the functions of the headset? the firmware? how does the firmware/system programme intereact with the phone? is the phone sending all the commands? or the headset can command the phone as well? can the firmware be accessed by the phone via bluetooth?

again, many many thanks.

Anyone?
WereCatf?