Originally Posted by Maximos View Post
Is it advisable to purchase an N810 when the N900 series is going to drop later this year? Seems like the N800 might be smarter, unless we see the prices on the N810 drop as a result of the WiMAX version.

Thanks guys.
if u REALLY want the keyboard and GPS then get the 810. but be warned, the GPS isnt that great and the keyboard isnt that necessary and still not as function as an external bluetooth keyboard.

and the 810 only has 1 MiniSD slot (so only up to 8GB Micro or Mini).

800 right now can be up to 32GB. as soon as they release the 32GB cards, then up to 64. and so on.

and 800 has the exact same hardware. and costs A LOT cheaper.

800s a better value

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
you know, all the complaints about hardware being too slow, could it perhaps also be that the software itself is just really inefficient? I mean seriously, why does it make my n800 choke to display 40 or 50 contacts?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
So, trying to connect the dots as Texrat suggested: some months ago there were some articles on blogs/around the web about Nokia's new, onscreen, haptic feedback TS keyboard. The demo was running on N800 (or was it even 770, can't remember). My guess is that it will be seen on the next NIT.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
N810 WiMAX means an update to OS2008 - or is WiMAX support now included, but disabled?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
N810 WiMAX means an update to OS2008 - or is WiMAX support now included, but disabled?
See the thread on Diablo from a few days ago. WiMAX support is coming with the next update to maemo 4.1.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
See the thread on Diablo from a few days ago. WiMAX support is coming with the next update to maemo 4.1.
Speaking of which maemo.org has been down for a while. what are the chances of something in the offing right now?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by instigator View Post
Speaking of which maemo.org has been down for a while. what are the chances of something in the offing right now?
Low. Nokia isn't Apple.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Low. Nokia isn't Apple.
Damn! I was waiting for a Jobs-esque stage show for the N810W release

Originally Posted by luciditydigital View Post
now don't crucify me, but what I would like to see is an IT that was Wimax, but when Wimax was not available would drop down to EVDO and when that was out, back to just CDMA 1x.
That way i would be able to get rid of my Sprint Air card, and just use the N810, and (with some happy software) tether it to my notebook when I need the larger screen.
Now that would be nice...

ya, I know fat chance, but I have a glimmer of hope that when they throw the covers off the specs that there will be a little more than just Wimax connectivity.
-Ezra
WiMAX falling back to EDGE/HSDPA, maybe--then Nokia could sell it as an unlocked GSM device anywhere in the world. EV-DO and CDMA would be too limited (just the US, South Korea, some parts of China...). There's just no way (in the US, at any rate) to sell a CDMA device without getting the carriers involved.

Oh, and Sprint/Xohm's WiMAX network is supposed to work with any WiMax hardware, with no contract. No device subsidies either, which I think is a better model than the current subsidized cell phone one in the US. I haven't seen any indication of what the plans will run per month.

As for a WiMAX modem for current tablets, wouldn't that just create a bottleneck when transferring data from the modem to the tablet? AFAIK WiMAX is significantly faster than either Bluetooth or USB, so it would make as much sense to just stick with using an EV-DO or HSDPA phone as a modem.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
really? i thoguht rogers wasnt strict - my canadian cousins said so at least, dont know how reliable they are
I have no idea what you mean by Rogers not being "strict". Rogers charges loan-shark rates for data transfer via "tethering" -- which means if you aren't on a special non-advertised plan, and you connect your NIT to your bluetooth phone here in Canada and then download a 5MB MP3, you can pay hundreds of dollars.

This same company will sell you Wimax for $50 a month that has essentially unlimited downloading and a 1.5 Mbit/sec download rate. When mobile devices begin having wimax on-board, the market is going to dramatically shift; I can't see cell providers being able to maintain high data plan rates on the old cell network technologies.

I suspect your Canadian cousins were speaking of the fact that Rogers has "lightened up" recently on people downloading more than the published cap on cable Internet plans. They used to send out threatening letters to everyone, but recently competition in the market has driven prices down and download caps up.