Active Topics

couple of questions...

1) 16gb is the max correct?
2) does it matter what brand I get? actually the only brand I have heard of is sandisk but I want to get the most affordable card I can.

thanks, once done I will allot 10 gb to evopedia and keep 6gb for a split of easy debian and (not so) easy fedora. anyway thanks for listening...

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Sandisk has 32gb microSD now. Price is still very high (USD$200 for one on their site last I checked).

As far as brand there are a lot, biggest difference with the "no-name" brands will be that they lie about the speed, many claim class 6 or class 10 but they are usually really slow. The "name" brands are Sandisk, Kingston, Transcend, A-Data... and of course Nokia sells microSD as well.

Reliability with the "no name" brands can also be a concern, as well as outright counterfeit cards that don't even contain as much memory as they claim.

In my personal experience I have these cards:

A-Data 4gb class 6. It is extremely fast and is still working great after 2+ years.

Transcend 8gb class 6, not as fast as the A-Data and worst of all is that it died in less than 1 year, not completely dead but it always corrupts files and has various random problems in any device I've tried. It cannot be used because it is entirely unreliable.

Sandisk 16gb class 2, I just got this in the mail today. It was less than USD$30 including shipping. Time will tell what my experience is with it. I haven't even put it in my N900 yet. Wish me luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
will any 32gb work???

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I've been using a Sandisk Mobile Ultra 16gb Class 4 since I got the phone in December. I've had zero issues with it. In my 5800 I used the same type of card since June, 2009 and had to re-format it in late June, 2010. The music library would not find any files on the card. Since then I've not had any issues with it. From the posts on forum.nokia it seems this is an issue with the 5800, independant of card manufacturer. I have no complaints about the speed of these Class 4 cards in either device.

I've used Kingston 16 gb in other devices as well as 8 gb Kingston and have had excellent results. I had one Kingston card fail in September, 2007. They replaced it under warranty.

anyy one.... 32gb ???? will it work??? i dont wana waste 200 $

In anycase get a class 4 or higher.. cos soon we will have NITDROID out and it runs from the micro sd card.. so make sure its fast enough or you will end up having os crashes all the time

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I've got a Sandisk 32GB microsd card in my N900, which was previously in my N810, and it works perfectly in both.

Wasn't cheap compared to unbranded 16gb microsd, but was only about twice the cost of an equivalent Sandisk 16gb.

I do like having a 64GB N900!!

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Don't go for the cheapest option. I did this a few years ago by buyimg a no-brand 512mb and it died a few months later taking all my photos with it.

Buy from a well known brand name and make sure it has something like a 5 year guarantee.

SD Cards are convenient but I don't trust them - make backups often if data is important to you.

thanks for the info. I rthought as per nolias specs 16 gb saw the max, I goess not. With 32 I coluld put 10g evopedia, fedora chrootable, and still have close to 20 gb for android. That would make this phone just amazing.

well nokia put out 32gb same with sandisk but i bet theyre all class 2 just get a 16gb class 4 or higher

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...dhc-card-mu-45