Notices

That is incredible. I played Ultima IV a little bit, but I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I spent in high school playing Ultima III. I have the Ultima 1-6 box set for PC, but I remember the Commodore 64 version being better.

If only I had time to play those games again. Thanks for the nostalgia, dude.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by iball View Post
The on-screen button/keyboard idea sounds damn good.
You just need someone to do the graphics/layout or someone to do that as well as code said buttons/layout?
I'm neither, I just test about everything you port over.
Right now i'm going with the bottom layout - the whole buttonscheme will be just one .png so anybody can edit it to their liking easily. (Pupnik's 'Ultra Simple Theme' tech) Layout will be fixed out of laziness. Bottom center row of 8 keys will be split into 4 letters per button for text entry during talky bits.

dunno if i'll make it a bitmap or let sdl draw the text... hmm two different background versions on the animation there. OH well others can do better art i'm sure.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-09-27 at 08:41.

Wow, that looks great. I was thinking of either a scoll look or a stone look (maybe a stretched out scroll on the bottom and stones on the side), but I like your all stone look.
If you can easliy do it, a dropshadow on the fonts might make them looked etched in the stone, and you wouldn't have to bitmap them.
(I did that once back in the day when I thought I was a programmer on my Amiga. They didn't have dropshadow fonts, so I drew the font twice, once in black, and then once up and back two pixels white for depth.)
Just a though...
Looks great. Thanx!!

desiv

I had a thought. I know it will take up a button worth of space, but I was thinking about a compass in the bottom right. That way, you could move and fight (attack would be the center, then the direction) without having to use the buttons, if you wanted to play all stylus.
Just a thought, something like this: (stolen, not drawn!)

(Although a basic 4 point with a center button would be better)
Just that hitting the "a" and then using the direction pad (and sometimes the pad registers twice) can be a bit awkward...

desiv

So far so good, pupnik, keep it up and let us all know when it's finished so I can go bang on it for bugs.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Belgium
Looks like the file is no longer available. I managed to track a mirror copy of it, but it has the 'hawkind bug', where you cannot talk to hawkind. This makes completing the game rather hard, so I took the liberty of compiling and putting a version for maemo3 (Bora) online myself, for the time being. You can get it here : http://users.edpnet.be/evanhoof/dist...80410_bora.deb
I compiled it for os2007, but it will probably run on os2008 as well.

It has the vga update and game files builtin, but sound does not work, but that is not exactly a bad thing, since you will get sick very quickly of hearing the same midi file all over anyway.
This is just a plain compile from cvs, not hildonized at all, and requires a hardware keyboard (I use a bluetooth keyboard, which works fine, and I guess a usb keyboard would work too, if you enable hosting).

Last edited by rittf800; 2008-04-21 at 11:43.

I've just tried to install this on a N810 and sadly get an incompatible application error message

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Try through xterm with apt-get/dpkg

dpkg -i seemed to work fine. It seems to work really well. Thanks a lot for this rittf800.

Can someone get the sound working now?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
dpkg -i seemed to work fine. It seems to work really well. Thanks a lot for this rittf800.

Can someone get the sound working now?
It seems that timidity is missing, normally a requirement for the midi music, but I don't know why the 'sound effects' don't work, which are just plain ogg files. I didn't want to put too much work in this one, because ArnimS is working on a proper hildon port with vkb support, but I might give sound a go 'in the near future'.

BTW you can also play the nes version with fceu, allthough the sound in there is choppy as well.
If only someone would port a sega master system emulator, because that one has imho the best version of the game...