Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Android works very well on both mobile phones and tablets, provided your user pattens and needs are typically consumerish.
For example my son uses his android devices for just regular games, browsing and messaging.
Yes, just like my gaming or browsing TMO

Mind you, Jolla is not that great for producing stuff either. Before I made the ill-adviced move to switch to it from the N900, I used to whip out my N900 whenever I had a few spare moments and did some coding. And I managed to produce stuff. Either my own apps or contribute to someone else's.

With Jolla, I find that very difficult. These are just a few of the things that get in the way:
  1. The lack of a proper keyboard. Sadly, TOHKBD helps much less than expected due to the wrong ergonomics (too thin at the base, too top heavy) and the use of magnets which make me nervous every time I want to use it in pretty much the only place I have a continuous hour to spare: the bath tub
  2. Some questionable decisions in the VKB design. Whose genius idea was it to combine select and copy into a single action? So I cannot select a piece of text and replace it with the contents of the clipboard because the act of selecting puts it in the clipboard. Arrrgh!
  3. The lack of proper tools. Such as a simple, fixed font editor.
  4. The UI. Much as I like it for normal everyday tasks, I find it very much geared towards consumption. Having to scroll all the way up to access the pulley menu means I lose my cursor position every time I want to save the file.

All of the above means that to do any development on/for Jolla, I am forced to use another computer and SSH. It is ironic that I had to end up using Windows, out of all things, to develop my Sailfish patches.

As for producing anything beyond a few patches, I have simply given up. Too many hurdles getting in the way.

Sure, and same goes for android; to do anything useful you need to root the device and enable adb.
However even after that the experience is very poor, the default shell is really pitiful, a pain to work with.
There are no packet repositories at all, and all tools you need to build with an external computer.
Definitely. The availability of the compiler and the packaging tools directly on the device are a big boon. Without them, I would not be able to do anything at all as the SDK is simply not an option for me. But for the rest of it, see above: I am just as forced to use an external computer with my Jolla as you are with Android.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
To be honest, the best OS for tablet right now is windows 10.
on my cube i7 stylus (great product, i can suggest it), I installed ubuntu and then i will install android and remixos (android fork for desktop).
For now i have ubuntu and windows 10 in dual boot. I have to admit that adaptation of windows 10 on tablet is really great and with wacom support is really suitable both for working and study.
they really made such a good job. and if i want to play to android apps, so far worst than desktop ones for productivity, i simply can make use of Bluestack.
Please note that i am not a developer, so i don't care in my everyday life of terminal and programming tools. however i guess they would be available also in windows. The big bad point is the closeness and the lacking privacy rispect, but you now, android is not better (maybe worst, since google rely on your private data more than Microsoft and its business model);

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2016-02-02 at 14:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Of course I might be wrong but the tools I need just do not exist on android.

Or if they do it might mean I need to install tons and tons of stuff to make them available; it is just too tedious when I can either install them right off the repositoiries or just pull in a git source repo and do "./configure; make; devel-su make install"
It's always a trade off.
The question is:
Are you compiling and running those tools everyday or you just want to be able to do it?
Do you really want you tablet to be used to fire some ssh commands or something that can support various multimedia applications and ssh itself too?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
It's always a trade off.
The question is:
Are you compiling and running those tools everyday or you just want to be able to do it?
Do you really want you tablet to be used to fire some ssh commands or something that can support various multimedia applications and ssh itself too?
I really don't use much "multimedia" except for forums like TMO.

I do some SW development and testing, mostly c/c++ and nodejs on my daily device (the Jolla phone) because it is always with me... OFC I'd prefer to lugg a laptop with me all the time but even my favourite Lenovo x60's are too large for that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

I do some SW development and testing, mostly c/c++ and nodejs on my daily device (the Jolla phone) because it is always with me... OFC I'd prefer to lugg a laptop with me all the time but even my favourite Lenovo x60's are too large for that
juiceme why not a 2 in 1?

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
juiceme why not a 2 in 1?
I'm sorry you lost me there, what's a 2in1 ?

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel

As much as i don't really like ubuntu. I'm thinking to get one. Because it's FOSS and it can work in both tablet and desktop mode.
Maybe this one would satisfy your needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. If I may chime in. If you would like to compile/run c/c++ code on phone, you could just use a chrooted linux distribution on an android phone with a terminal emulator. I don't do this a lot but I remember compiling and running a Fortran code on my phone, putting it in background to do other stuff and then making a phone call. Also, I once had to do a make on a version of wxmaxima, which I occasionally use, for a version of fedora on my phone and it worked fine. But for the most part, as ZogG indicates, for me, doing this is just for show. What is more useful for me is having programs like convert and vi readily available. Not sure, but if you are doing development for jolla specific applications maybe more convenient to do on jolla phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
And what exactly you search in tablet that can be done by sailfish and not android in your use if you don't mind me asking
Well. My initial thought was not if I should use SailfishOS or not, but if it was a good idea to buy a 2nd hand Jolla tablet, or wait for newer and maybe wider available tablet w/ SailfishOS.

That said, I feel the SailfishOS more computer-like compared to Android. It's easier to switch between apps and I'm used to swipe instead if clicking on back buttons that takes up a huge part of the screen.

Furthermore I prefer to use a mobile OS which respects my privacy and where I at least can stop all Google services when they're ain't needed.

This is just my personal preference and if I'm not able to get a well supported SailfishOS-tablet I'll continue to use my laptop when the Jolla phone's screen feels to small.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
I'm sorry you lost me there, what's a 2in1 ?
2 in 1 devices, tablets that are also pc with optional keyboard. like acer switch 10, surface, cube i7,etc.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cube+i+7+s...ax=1&ia=images

this one is fully supported by xda devs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: