Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Speaking of open development:

http://maemo.gitorious.org/
http://maemoteam.wordpress.com/2009/...gitorious-org/

We have started today moving the first projects there and we will continue in the following days. The idea is to have all the code repositories from Maemo components hosted currently in garage or elsewhere in maemo.gitorious.org.

This is the place where the Maemo open development can be followed commit by commit, with the exception of certain projects developed closely or entirely upstream.

A list of all the projects will be maintained at http://wiki.maemo.org/OpenDevelopment

Give us some time moving projects to maemo.gitorious.org and filling the wiki page. You can help improving the wiki page and you can also create a gitorious account (if you don't have already one, plain gitorious.org just works).

Any feedback is welcome!

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm not a developer, but I wondered if you could explain why the move to gitorious.org? It seems odd to have something like that outside of maemo.org.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
A list of all the projects will be maintained at http://wiki.maemo.org/OpenDevelopment
Quim, I'm going to write a plugin that docks karma points for creating CamelCase wiki articles just for you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
pelago, it's a place to gather the projects from Maemo Devices. Currently they are spread around.

A single place and a place where many developers are already active. And gitorious provides a simple model for working together in the open.

Plus Mer is there too :-)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm not a developer, but I wondered if you could explain why the move to gitorious.org? It seems odd to have something like that outside of maemo.org.
If you would be a platform developer you would probably appreciate a lot more that we are using an instance of gitorious.org. http://qt.gitorious.org started the trend.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm a developer and I can say that many people have their own views about version control systems (VCS) but since GIT has invaded free software community, many teams have switched to use it instead of Subversion or CVS. Gitorious is one of nice abstractions on top of GIT that allows you to visualize how development is done across multiple teams and people affecting the same code. It makes quite easy to clone the code, do your own modifications and propose those later for merge to original developers. A similar tools on top of GIT are Github and a regular e-mail interface (git am, git format-patch, for example). GIT itself is also better at interoperating with other VCS for both migrating from and "pushing" code changes to them.

So Gitorious is something that is way better than Garage from a development process perspective.

Of course, everyone is free to choose what they are using as a hosting platform for their project. From Nokia it looks like a good consolidation trend -- for example, Qt already uses Gitorious to support their open source development process and communicate within Qt community.

Last edited by abbra; 2009-10-06 at 20:41.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
This is really exciting.

Will all of the components that are not red in this diagram eventually end up being developed in the open in this repository? That is, will any developer be able to get a nightly snapshot of current development on any of the components?

Also, will (non-closed components of) Harmattan be developed in this repository, or will it remain private until later?

Last edited by qole; 2009-10-06 at 17:38. Reason: added "(non-closed components of)"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Will this also be available (as well as/instead of svn) to community garage projects?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Will this also be available (as well as/instead of svn) to community garage projects?
Gitorious.org is open to everyone. Its code is free software as well, so there are different options. Maemo.gitorious.org is a separate front-end that provides "filtering" of projects based on a "family" -- i.e. Maemo-related projects. Currently it looks like Maemo.gitorious.org takes Maemo Devices' official open source projects, in a way similar to Qt.gitorious.org takes Qt official open source projects.

I would say there are options as to make another "garage" front-end, make a separate gitorious server (code is there, you can run it yourself, pretty much like Garage.maemo.org is running a variation of GForge), leave all as it is, and so on.

The Following User Says Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Tero and me have discussed this a bit and we feel that it is better to have a place for Maemo official software only. There is already git support in garage for independent community projects.

Yes, the aim is to develop open source openly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: