So, post phone breaking, I reflashed and booted it to find everything had gone (i'm sure that didnt happen last time I flashed a combined image, and I didnt flash the emmc)

Not so bad as I had a backup taken just 2 days ago.. but the backup won't restore properly. It does 51 / 176 mb then gives this error message about the target memory being full. What memory is it talking about and how can I clear it out?

update: nothing really works on the phone (opening apps gives a "operation temporarily disabled sue to low memory" error). opening up file manager and browsing to the N900 memory gives a message "memory card format unsupported" message

does it give a clue?

update2: installed rootsh and did fsck -af /dev/mmcblk0pl
get a message about the superblock being corupted and it not being a valid ext2fs
sfdisk -l gives i/o errors and "cannot read sector 0 of /dev/mmcblk0: unrecognized partition type"

update 3:

Ok, so I pretty much came to the conclusion that dropping the phone has dislodged the eMMC as I cannot get it to flash at all, variety of error messages associated with an inaccessible/unusable eMMC, so I've followed durant's post to use an SD card ion place of the eMMC..

There were a few changes to his instructions as som things werent quite correct on my phone (command line switches didnt seem to work) in essence though, this is what I've done:

Copy emmcworkaround.zip (google it) contents to SD using windows
Use filemanager to install rootsh from the debs folder in the zip, on the phone
reboot
ope xterminal
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1

this command is different, specify size in megs, not sectors, and dont specify starting sector/meg s-sfdisk will calc
sfdisk -uM /dev/mmcblk1 <<EOF
,256,C
EOF

I had a 2 gig card for test, gonna use an 8 gig one later. sfdisk will have made a 256meg DOS partition, and 768 meg linux (for opt) and swap parts

then format them:

mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1
mkfs.ext3 -m 1 -L home /dev/mmcblk1p2
tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/mmcblk1p2
mkswap /dev/mmcblk1p3
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p3

Note the commands above are also slightly different to durant's as my mkswap didnt support -L, nor did tune2fs support -o 0 .. were they typos?

now run the scripts to copy files around and permanently point to use the new sd card:

cd /media/mmc1/emmcfix/run
sh setupswap.txt
sh startoverremove.txt
sh copyhome.txt

restored the backup of my phone and nearly everything's back..
the only lingering issue I have now is that I get an error restoring the settings - can anyone tell me where settings are stored so I can check for lack of space? I do have a smaller opt now than default, as it's only a 2 gig card so maybe the issue will go away when I repeat the process above with the 8 gig card I have (but i didnt want to screw up..)

Last edited by cjard; 2011-08-29 at 19:13.

Hey cjard,

I am getting the same problem as you when trying to do a settings restore "target memory full" and only restoring 2.6 Mb.

Did you manage to find the location of the settings location on the N900 or find a way round the issue?

Thanks
D