Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Bridgend, South Wales, UK
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the N900 front camera as a usb webcam for Skype. I've had a quick look around but people are talking about wireless streaming which i want to avoid if possible (cos it's far to complicated for me)
Just want simple usb webcam mode?

The Following User Says Thank You to GUYSTYLAZ For This Useful Post:
Nothings been made like that yet I'm afraid. You could try the network based ones like livecast.

interested in this too. looked it up a few months ago but nothing came up. ill keep a watch on this thread in hopes of good news.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Lebanon
Here's a strategy I tried to do but gave up on:

1. Stream cam's video over IP via gstreamer (many examples if you search)
2. On laptop create a "Virtual Camera" (a webcam identified by the laptop/pc) that captures this stream.
3. Use skype, gtalk etc... which would connect to your virtual camera and take the feed from there.

I was able to do the first, the second step is tricky...

Hope this helps.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Can you post some examples of gstreamer over IP as I have tried all the ones I could find from google and not had a lot of success with them.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

i managed to get the n900 to stream a selection of jpg images to my PC, and got the PC to interpret that as a webcam (using someone elses drivers).

I never got a chance to swap the list of jpgs for a gstreamer stream but it shouldn't be too difficult...

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
i remember that i once had coneted a v4l device via Network to a windows device directly as twain input. No gstreamer, the device it self was adressed.
As far as i remember it was tricky and i never got it to work perfect (packetdrop was fatal as far as i remember)

I am able to take videocall to sip:500@ekiga.net
It is an echo test, so your audio and video (from the front camera) is routed back to you.

Seems like videocalling is working, when *bad* proprietary (Skype) standards are not used.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Can you post some examples of gstreamer over IP as I have tried all the ones I could find from google and not had a lot of success with them.
http://blog.pclewis.com/2010/02/stre...camera-to-vlc/

works for me.

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I have been using this:
Code:
#Server
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! videoscale! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! multipartmux ! tcpserversink host=10.0.0.240 port=5000
#Client
gst-launch tcpclientsrc host=10.0.0.240 port=5000 ! multipartdemux ! jpegdec ! autovideosink
Some distributions have gst-launch named gst-launch-0.10.

But to use it as web-camera, you need to create virtual v4l2-device from it afaik, but I couldn't manage to get it working:
Code:
$ gst-launch tcpclientsrc host=10.0.0.240 port=5000 ! multipartdemux ! jpegdec ! v4l2sink device=/dev/video0
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Sink:v4l2sink0: Cannot identify device '/dev/video0'.
Additional debug info:
v4l2_calls.c(488): gst_v4l2_open (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Sink:v4l2sink0:
system error: No such file or directory
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...
$