Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
it only means that it will be integrated with M$ office, which means :

you can call your mother on skype from your powerpoint presentation.
you can calculate in excel how many minutes you spent on a skype call and you will be sent a bill
You can type in word and it will be translated to voice, you can leave the transcript overnight and the chat will happen .... but you will have to pay for it

so its all about Dollars out of users not just by advertisement or revenue out phone calls.

How nice...
How convenient...

1. yesterday it was nokia
2. today, the skype
3. tomorrow, the world

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

Maybe its time to focus on SIP clients finally.

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
it only means that it will be integrated with M$ office, which means :

you can call your mother on skype from your powerpoint presentation.
you can calculate in excel how many minutes you spent on a skype call and you will be sent a bill
You can type in word and it will be translated to voice, you can leave the transcript overnight and the chat will happen .... but you will have to pay for it

so its all about Dollars out of users not just by advertisement or revenue out phone calls.
Nahh, it will just show ads but it will still be free, otherwise all the users are going to jump to another IM. I dont think MS would want that.

The interesting part in here whether MS will buy the core technology behind the skype and not just "license to use it".

"http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/08/01/ebay-may-have-to-rebuild-core-skype-technology-over-licensing-dispute/"

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
Nahh, it will just show ads but it will still be free, otherwise all the users are going to jump to another IM. I dont think MS would want that.

The interesting part in here whether MS will buy the core technology behind the skype and not just "license to use it".

"http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/08/01/ebay-may-have-to-rebuild-core-skype-technology-over-licensing-dispute/"
on second thought, as it trying to get into the mobile phones market, it may want to capture the business end to compete agains Balckberry's of the world who ve got there own servers for email chats etc. as Skype conversations are encrypted and secure M$ may want to enter into the mobile phone users who use it for business purposes, so they will have end to end covered from servers to desktops to mobile (through Nokia alliance and now buying Skype), one day they might go and get Cisco networks and then AT&T or Vodafone to get the communication covered and then perhaps the toilet cleaning services (there is a lot of money in there) with the brand that say your Window to world (toilet seats may crash be careful and virus will be free of charge)

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
Are there any free alternatives?
XMPP aka Jabber aka GTalk aka Google Talk. Probably the best messaging protocol there is. It's used by Facebook, Google and Ovi for example.

Last edited by laasonen; 2011-05-10 at 11:24.

GNU is also working on a Skype-alternative.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
XMPP aka Jabber aka GTalk aka Google Talk. Probably the best messaging protocol there is. It's used by Facebook, Google and Ovi for example.
I think this news is an excellent reason to switch from Skype.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Once M$ got Skye and changed the protocol, the value of my N900 will drop quite a bit. Same for my desktop and laptop machines
It will just be a matter of time until the non M$ users will lose their possibility of using Skype.

Long time ago I and my friends used ICQ, then they changed to MSN. As it also worked on Linux, I changed as well. (Didnt like it, but what should you do...). Then now almost everybody just uses Skype. So whats coming next?
Sadly I do not know another as good working service. Maybe SIP, but who has an SIP account???
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Once M$ got Skye and changed the protocol, the value of my N900 will drop quite a bit. Same for my desktop and laptop machines
It will just be a matter of time until the non M$ users will lose their possibility of using Skype.

Long time ago I and my friends used ICQ, then they changed to MSN. As it also worked on Linux, I changed as well. (Didnt like it, but what should you do...). Then now almost everybody just uses Skype. So whats coming next?
Sadly I do not know another as good working service. Maybe SIP, but who has an SIP account???
The SIP is quite OK. It provides interoperability between different service providers.
It is based on standard.

But there is a huge drawback compared to skype that has not been addressed until now:
Common users install skype, and it simply works, not settings, not problems (well almast 99%)
The SIP client on the other hand do require settings other than username passord. Some of the providers have create custom clients to address this (e.g. gizmo or google voice).

What we need is a client that can be easily used with different service providers, which is easy to setup by the client. In my opinion this is something like:

Option 1 - generic client + custom profile download-able in single installaton package

Option 2- generic client, and service provider which publishes settings through single-click-to-install profiles from the provider's web site.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Argh!! Just yesterday the headlines were that Google and Facebook were considering an acquisition of Skype.

Then, BANG!! Ballmer heard about it and came flying in with his KRYPTONITE CHECKBOOK OF DOOM!!!

ARGH!!!!!