Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
(if somebody actually inspects the code)
Don't worry, somebody will do it.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Don't worry, somebody will do it.
MMPF, makes me consider to only post in native language from now on. Viel Glueck! Da koennte sich naemlich manchmal Google translate ueberfordert fuehlen.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-17 at 12:00.

You guys can talk FSF all you want but as long as it doesn't delay the device I don't mind :P BTW, if I ordered (if i may) AFTER the proto is complete and tested, is it possible?

Thanks for the great work! I am very interested in privacy and this phone seems to be the closest thing we get. Turnable off modem sounds a great idea, but honestly that's so trivial, why no one else is providing this feature?

I suggest you send a few phones to Freedom of the Press Foundation, journalists in many countries are in desperate need of these features but unfortunately they usually are proficient in humanities not IT, so probably won't even hear about this project otherwise.

On the more technical note, how is USB functioning on these devices? Is it possible to boot from it?

And I wonder if anyone has ported OpenBSD to N900 already?

The Following User Says Thank You to tork For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Please note that FSF is NOT about privacy, it's about Free Software!
That's not strictly true.

From http://www.fsf.org/about/:
The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is a nonprofit with a worldwide mission to promote computer user freedom and to defend the rights of all free software users.
IMHO user freedom and privacy go hand in hand and the FSF do talk about privacy in some of their campaigns.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
You guys can talk FSF all you want but as long as it doesn't delay the device I don't mind :P
I guess currently the device is still blocked by the non-availability of the display connector

Unfortunately that's also something that some joe-average like me who doesnt know a thing about hardware sourcing or contacts in the industry can't help anything with

I'd hate to see such an awesome project fail because of a tiny plastic part...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to josch1337 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Without having even a trace of backgroud knowledge I fed Google with the display connector's part number and if all the info I found were legit I could point at a quarter million pieces available.

Obviously at least the vast majority of that info is not legit (or I don't know how to filter it) but it made me think. I guess I'm not the only one who's looking for that part once in a while without being able to properly judge the results and I'm pretty sure you devs have a list somewhere that says which sources you've already checked.
So I think it would be a good idea to publish and update that list somewhere so someone like me can check if some random find might be worth mentioning without creating too much useless noise.
Maybe the display connector's ticket [1] would be a good place to hold that verified/falsified list while suggestions should still go in this thread.

This would basically turn the search for parts into a coordinated crowd activity just like the funding. All you have to do is provide the infrastructure to manage the collected info and maybe some advise for non-EE people that tells them what to look for (I guess I got that but with respect to my lack of knowledge I'm not certain).

[1] http://projects.goldelico.com/p/neo900/issues/536/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Any decision about the wireless chip made yet ?

I hope it is not going to be the same chip as the current GTA04 board.

Many thanks for a response and congrats for reaching your targets ! Can't wait to see the real device being produced.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Has BLE been considered for inclusion in the Neo900?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Multi-touch (ok 2-touch) anybody? With rotate and pinch.
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...eId=0112698268
So... this chip, in addition to the running the N900's own touchscreen, can also handle 4 capacitive contacts. Would be great to use these (e.g. place a strip or ipod-like touch wheel on the battery cover for scrolling/seeking tracks/etc.); will they be available through the expansion interface?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!