Notices

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
For OS2005 / OS2006 / OS2008/Diablo

I've been in an adventure game mood lately, triggered by another post here and yesterday I tracked down and installed a really nice text adventure platform GFrotz.

The program comes in two 'flavors';

Frotz = The original adventure game launcher, you launch it in xterm.
GFrotz = Same as Frotz but with a graphical UI and does not require Xterm.

(The 'benefit' with Frotz is that you can get a 'black background with white text' - but in GFrotz you appear to be limited to white background with black text. Personal preference).

I haben't seen this in the extras repo but you can download it from here: http://www.users.on.net/~cwarrensmith/n770/#gfrotz

So how does it work?

1) Install GFrotz (or Frotz if you are comfortable with running things from xterm)

2) Download one of the MANY free text adventues online. I've downloaded a number of adventure games with a .z5 extension and they run beautifully.

You can play anything from classic Colossal Cave, to Zork - and many NEW amazing text adventures from places like;

- Free Infocom Games, and (my favorite):
- The IF Archives.

Below is just a screen shot of how one game looks like in GFrotz:
Attached Images

AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Awesome Silver!

Here's one that I found to be wicked fun!

There's a Snake in the Bathtub, a Test of Patience, by Edward Griffiths. Release 1 / Serial number 060409
http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/...ode/bathtub.z5

I've always wanted to revisit that game and have that damn snake suffer a horrible, searing death! *lol*

Thanks a bunch Silver.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks JUST downloaded it and will check it out

My favorite of the games on IF right now is by far "Slouching Towards Bedlam"
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Here's one that I found to be wicked fun!

There's a Snake in the Bathtub, a Test of Patience, by Edward Griffiths. Release 1 / Serial number 060409
http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/...ode/bathtub.z5

I've always wanted to revisit that game and have that damn snake suffer a horrible, searing death! *lol*
Wow I've played a bunch of text adventures back in the day but not this one. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Addison!

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
For OS2005 / OS2006 / OS2008/Diablo
I've been in an adventure game mood lately, triggered by another post here and yesterday I tracked down and installed a really nice text adventure platform GFrotz.

The program comes in two 'flavors';

Frotz = The original adventure game launcher, you launch it in xterm.
GFrotz = Same as Frotz but with a graphical UI and does not require Xterm.
Looks like I'll have to dig out my keyboard and hook it up to my N800. Thanks for the info SM!

Nice to have you back Pushwall.

Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Nice to have you back Pushwall.
Thanks ukki! It was one of those bad years at work. Hopefully that's over with and I can get back to some fun.

Tags
adventures, diablo, os2007, text, zork