Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Singapore
Hello,

Just curious to find out if there are any second wave users out there, who are holding back and see a wider review of N900 before purging into the device, and also curious to know what are the things that are holding you guys back ~

Thaaanks

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i'll propably get my n900 in the end of december or beginning of january.
i guess i'll be a third/fourth-wave-user. or maybe mass-wave-user ^^

Their are 2 reasons I want an n900:
* GNU/Linux distribution
* Skype (means I don't need voice plan)

The big problem I have with the n900 is its price. The past couple of weeks, the price has fluctuated alot. I also think ~$500 is too much for a phone when my OCZ netbook only cost $350 (there is no comparison here in terms of specs).

What I really want is Maemo on my nintendo DS; however, with the DS not having an MMU, its probably not going to happen.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i doubt maemo can even remotely run on ds-hardware.

/edit: well, obviously it COULD, but not in its state as we know it from the n900.

afaik, there are already linux-distributions for the ds.

Last edited by msa; 2009-12-08 at 01:16.

I'm holding off on the N900 for a while.

The camera application is very incomplete and not up to the standards of other N series 5Mp phones. Also the video drops frames and is very choppy. Those are important features to me, so I want to wait and see if they get improved or not. I imagine this will take months.

I'm also hesitating on the price and whether I really want the additional cost of a data plan to use this phone the way it ought to be used. I love the idea of Maemo and that it's Linux. But I'm not sure if the geeky appeal justifies the extra expense to me.

There also seem to be some pretty serious bugs right now. Especially the widely reported problem of people experiencing frequent random reboots. And the email program seems to have some problems. I know every new device has bugs. But Maemo and the N900 seem to be more buggy than usual at this point in their development.

So I'm definitely in a wait and see mode. I want to see what future versions of firmware add. And I want to wait and see how much the bugs settle down. I imagine at some point, probably months from now, I won't be able to resist the N900 and it's Linux goodness. But I'll be happy to pay less and wait out the bugs.

Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
I'm holding off on the N900 for a while.

The camera application is very incomplete and not up to the standards of other N series 5Mp phones. Also the video drops frames and is very choppy. Those are important features to me, so I want to wait and see if they get improved or not. I imagine this will take months.

I'm also hesitating on the price and whether I really want the additional cost of a data plan to use this phone the way it ought to be used. I love the idea of Maemo and that it's Linux. But I'm not sure if the geeky appeal justifies the extra expense to me.

There also seem to be some pretty serious bugs right now. Especially the widely reported problem of people experiencing frequent random reboots. And the email program seems to have some problems. I know every new device has bugs. But Maemo and the N900 seem to be more buggy than usual at this point in their development.

So I'm definitely in a wait and see mode. I want to see what future versions of firmware add. And I want to wait and see how much the bugs settle down. I imagine at some point, probably months from now, I won't be able to resist the N900 and it's Linux goodness. But I'll be happy to pay less and wait out the bugs.
Well, I'll let you know in the next few days what I think of mine. It will be delivered tomorrow. I've heard that in the past few weeks nokia has been releasing updates like crazy trying to get all these little bugs you're talking about taken care of so hopefully mine works well for the most part. I got mine from dell.com and will get the $50 back from nokia and $100 back from the 20% off from bing.com over thanksgiving so whenever i get those back i'll be sitting at $370 after tax. My friend also has an unreleased phone that currently has the 1700 band from t-mobile and we tested my sim card in his phone and were able to get 3g speeds with 1.7Mbps down. I believe t-mobile also has other internet packages that should work similarly without going for the full $30 or $35 package for having a high end phone.

This phone is nokia's baby and all the bugs definitely will get worked out. Also, the browser was developed for this phone, it should be pretty sweet from what i've heard.

Last edited by Powerglide08; 2009-12-08 at 01:46.

I consider myself both first and second wave user, since I got my tracking number today and will have in hand tomorrow. First wave, I'll run in parallel with my E71 by just adding a 2nd T-Mo SIM (I'm on Even More Plus, so no contract since I roll my own phones). There are too many missing features that are critical to me in the current state (e.g., real Mail For Exchange support as on e71 is a must have for me) and I really want my primary phone to be bulletproof in it's role as a phone.

Second wave, as I am hoping Nokia doesn't abandon this phone like they abandon all their other phones and continues to release updated firmware to address the key issues to bring it a bit closer to parity with Symbian with respect to phone features. So I can eventually use the N900 as my primary phone and leave the e71 behind.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
for me , i hope get N900 more early. the best important reason is "GNU/Linux distribution". but
1. the price is too much for me
2. the N900 is NOT sell in china in the short term
So, i guess i will be last wave user. :{

A) I can't test it in person at any store in California
B) Price is too high
C) I want a 3.7 or 4 inch screen, and a Snapdragon CPU

But really A+B

1) I have a perfectly functional 800
2) The price is high to me (though I can understand cause if I had to pay for a new GPS unit and cell phone to tether and the extra SD cards it would reach into the realm of the 900 (since I paid full retail when I purchased the 800)
3) I am concerned about this reboot issue. Had it on my 800 and when the thing is also my phone that is not going to be cool.
4) I'm using SD boot. Not sure if this is something that can/should be done on the 900.
5) MaemoMapper: Absolutely must work on the new device or some equivalent as I use my 800 as my only navigation device on long road trips.
6) I recently purchased the Mugen battery for my 800 and I'd like to actually use it before relegating the 800 to the relic closet.

7) Lastly I'm on ATT so I lose 3G not the biggest deal but I'd like an idea on how web surfing is like on GPRS speeds, 3G over a tether is well sluggish but usable for MM updates.