Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
PIM seems to be the one area where the platform is really lacking. Is Nokia planning any apps, or working with any developers to bring one to the device.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
All of the press to date related to the WiMAX variant speaks of Nokia's partnership with Sprint and its XOHM network. Thus, it appears that the WiMAX tablet is targetted solely towards the U.S.A. customer base. Are there any plans to bring the WiMAX tablet into different markets after the initial launch?

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
A platform question I have is this — Will any tools be developed to help migrate QT apps to Maemo?

And: What sort of activity is going on to bring for-profit software companies to develop apps (or migrate them) to Maemo? Is this active or just passive? (E.g., whatever happens via Forum Nokia.)

And: Do you know of any efforts by any other companies to implement Maemo on a tablet? (Might be competitive, might be complementary effort &#8212 different focus or less capable but cheaper, that sort of thing.)

What about future tablets — Will there be some way to put in more RAM than the default? (For use as RAM, not storage.) What about the 800 x 480 limits in the display? How is the work progressing on making Maemo apps run at any resolution?

And: Any chance an SDK IDE will be developed that runs directly on an Internet Tablet?

And a personal question for Quim — do you prefer to use the N810 or the N800?

Just in case I miss the call :-)

Roger

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
What about future tablets — Will there be some way to put in more RAM than the default? (For use as RAM, not storage.) What about the 800 x 480 limits in the display? How is the work progressing on making Maemo apps run at any resolution?
Yes, I definitely would like to hear more about resolution independence and maemo. Particularly with relation to potential future plans for tablets with resolutions above or below 800x480.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Here are a few of my questions (thanks for allowing us to post these ITT):

- Understanding that you cannot comment on future devices, or even Nokia technologies in future devices, I'd like to ask if you can speak some on how the type of touchscreen was chosen and if addressing haptics/multitouch/etc. was ever an option with the N800/N810. The nature of the builds of these devices seems to suggest that it might have been at some point.

- The IT seems to be a perfect Web 2.0 device, however it doesn't seem that Nokia has yet expolited that ecosystem any with Ovi, or any other endavors. Is this something we should expect to see addressed not just in future devices/services, but also in appropriating current and past devices and users?

- Forgetting the comments made here and other places, how do you as a product evangelist and developer address devices such as the iPod Touch, Intel's MID prototypes, and UMPCs? While inside the industry we see those lines that seperate these devices, mainstream consumers and prosumers do not. Should they see the benfits of the IT over these deivces? And how has your team worked to make this possible with the current stead of devices.

Thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully respond to) my questions. I appreciate it.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2008-02-08 at 21:49.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Another question I would have...

Is the Maemo Team aware of an apparent 2GB file limit on the tablet that prevents using large data bases and restricts the usefulness of some programs?

Both GDBM and Linux support large files (in excess of 2 GB), but that support has to be compiled into the binary. Either GDBM or Linux has NOT been compiled for Maemo with large file support.
>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...740#post132740

Are there any plans to correct this in the future?

Also RogerS, thanks for the opportunity to post.