Active Topics

Thanks billranton for this guide!

I was stuck at the sqlite-part. Adding and editing the xml files was pretty straight forward.

Can you please update the Meego wiki with details (or at least post a link there):
http://wiki.meego.com/Migrating_from...to_N950#Tricks
Better to make an XMPP example as default, since it's an open standard

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Sure, I can't vouch for any of this on an n950 though cos I'm not in the club

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Yes, though it should work for any telepathy account - so if we manage to port any other protocol it'll work for that too. There are a depressingly large number of protocol icons already in /usr/share/themes. Makes you wonder what might have been.

Yeah when I put the msn.service file in /usr/share/accounts/services/ it showed up on the end of that list. Did you put it in the right place?
for the record, does this work with PR1.0?
i have the files in /usr/share/accounts/services/msn.service
and /usr/share/accounts/providers/msn.provider
i cd to /home/user, and as user type:
sqlite3 .accounts/accounts.db and then select * from services; but it doesn't work!
at first i thought, may be is because a permission issue, but a ls -la shows all files have the same -rw-r--r-- !!! dont know what to do! how do you create the files? may be because i did it with wordpad on windows? Is plain text, and .service extension, checked it twice.
May be some mc-tool settings? I played with all the mc-tool options, may be i changed something?

I couldn't say about PR1.0, but I don't think it should make any difference. Could be that the xml formats changed. Do a 'diff msn.provider skype.provider' - the differences should be minor.
Check the files for microsoftness with 'vi msn.provider'. They might have ^Ms at the ends of the lines, which might upset the parser.

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
YAY! now i can see it! It was because of that M$ thing! fixed with gedit and now works like a charm! thank you!

billranton, have you had any battery life issues with this? I just had something really strange happen to my battery life. Somehow this morning after connecting to msn my system has been 100% active, with 596mA consumption!!!! I did notice msn connecting and dropping constantly, it could be due to a poor signal here but it looks quite extreme. This never happened before.

Battery drain can be an issue with some services. Even regular XMPP can have problems with that, and needs special optimization techniques for idle mode. It's not yet part of the XMPP standard, and Google Talk server for example uses this: http://dave.cridland.net/xeps/google-queue.html (telepathy-gabble and Harmattan client which uses it does support it as well in case of Google Talk, but I'm not sure about other XMPP servers).
No idea about MSN though, I'm not using it. But it's very possible it can have similar issues.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
That could be it then. I'm also finding it really difficult to connect with msn. In Availability, the status icon at the top right of the display picture keeps on flashing and eventually I establish a connection but then drops off. Signal is not too bad either with 3bars on 3G. websites load pretty quickly too. Could this be a protocol issue???

I get a bit more consumption, but nothing like you're getting. My idle power goes up by about 10-15mA with msn and my own jabber which is running on ejabberd. I think you've got something else going on there. Which version of papyon did you use? If you're not using the git version, maybe try that.

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post: