Notices

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
I had to re-flash my tablet for a few reasons (one of which was that re-flashing was the only way to remove the Telescope launcher that installed with the Maemo 5 Theme).
One of my most-used apps is Aarddict so I can use my Nokia n810 as an offline Wikipedia reader (I know there is a Wikipedia Dump Reader also available).
When I re-installed apps to my n810, I found that Aarddict would install, but it won't run. Here is the error:

Code:
~ $ aarddict

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/aarddict", line 22, in <module>

aarddict.main()

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/aarddict/__init__.py", line 93, in main

import aarddict.qtui

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/aarddict/qtui.py", line 28, in <module>

from PyQt4.QtCore import (QObject, Qt, QThread, QTranslator, QLocale,

RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but the PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.0
Can someone help me figure out how to get Aarddict to run on my n810? Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2011 @ Targu Mures, Romania
Originally Posted by Palmleavr View Post
I had to re-flash my tablet for a few reasons (one of which was that re-flashing was the only way to remove the Telescope launcher that installed with the Maemo 5 Theme).
One of my most-used apps is Aarddict so I can use my Nokia n810 as an offline Wikipedia reader (I know there is a Wikipedia Dump Reader also available).
When I re-installed apps to my n810, I found that Aarddict would install, but it won't run. Here is the error:

Code:
~ $ aarddict

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/aarddict", line 22, in <module>

aarddict.main()

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/aarddict/__init__.py", line 93, in main

import aarddict.qtui

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/aarddict/qtui.py", line 28, in <module>

from PyQt4.QtCore import (QObject, Qt, QThread, QTranslator, QLocale,

RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but the PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.0
Can someone help me figure out how to get Aarddict to run on my n810? Thanks!
Hello!
After reflashing my Nokia N810 a couple of days ago, I decided to give another try with aardict (the version I had before did not work with the new aar-html files)

So I installed, found your problem and I hope you can solve it the way I did:
  1. You need to have root access to your filesystem http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/rootsh/
    Download and install this piece of software if you hadn't done this before
  2. On your PC!! Visit http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...4.10.5-maemo0/ Save the file (this one has SIP v7.0) and open it with archive manager of your choice. Inside this archive you will find "data.tar.gz" Open this one also and browse into "/./usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/" and extract the file called "sip.so" to your Desktop for example.
  3. Plug in your nokia and copy this file to a folder you must remember e.g. /media/mmc1/
  4. Open a x-terminal on Nokia N810 ;

Code:
    ~ $ root
    After this command you should see
    ~ #
    instead of
    ~ $
    then make a backup of your original sip.so file
    Code:
    mv /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sip.so /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bk-sip.so
    copy old sip.so to the same location
    Code:
    mv /media/mmc1/sip.so /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sip.so
    exit
    Replace with the path were you saved your file, if different from this one
  5. And you should be done
Run aardict and hopefully enjoy!
If it works (and I hope it does, because this is my first post) please mark it as Solved!

I did all these steps using my PC and ssh-server on my NIT. You can do it easier just by moving files around with a card reader or by plugging in your NIT to your PC

The Following User Says Thank You to victor.cighir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Victor,
Thanks! I tried your solution and it worked! This restores quite a bit of functionality for my n810a