Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
now THIS plasmaactive + sailfishos store should work very well together. Both use MER.

http://aseigo.blogspot.se/2013/10/fr...tribution.html

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes, I would call it that from summer to winter. But the delay is not a bad thing. In fact I think we will se another delay as well. The current target is to release before end of the year. But from the lack of info and promotion plus the video with the slow browser I would say that Christmas is too optimistic. So it's back to summer again, unless you are in the first batch as most of us here. We will hopefully get it before summer if we choose to.

But during that time. Both Tizen and Ubuntu(may 2014) will be released and it might be tempting for some jolla buyers. So while the delay is good for the product it's not always good for the market.
Seriously the ubuntu bogus promises and the non existing tizen smartphone that samsung may or may not make available. The only serious new players are FF OS and Sailfish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Seriously the ubuntu bogus promises and the non existing tizen smartphone that samsung may or may not make available. The only serious new players are FF OS and Sailfish.
Ubuntu Edge was all hype, no way in Hell it was going to be successful, and hindsight shows me why the specs were so damn high - have you seen Ubuntu Touch on a machine lesser than a Nexus 4? It's slow, clumsy and that's on pretty decent hardware (saw it on YouTube on a Galaxy S).

Tizen... a lot of commitments that are unfortunately going nowhere. My like of Tizen has dwindled to next to nothing due to the talk, promise, lack of deliverables.

FFOS is nice, but it's too low end for my needs. Sailfish is middle of the road, but not coming to any market where I can buy it anytime soon. So with those two being the pick of the litter in regards to "seriousness", I'm going to find hope for better options sooner than later.

Read: I'm tired of waiting.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ubuntu Edge was all hype, no way in Hell it was going to be successful, and hindsight shows me why the specs were so damn high - have you seen Ubuntu Touch on a machine lesser than a Nexus 4? It's slow, clumsy and that's on pretty decent hardware (saw it on YouTube on a Galaxy S).

Tizen... a lot of commitments that are unfortunately going nowhere. My like of Tizen has dwindled to next to nothing due to the talk, promise, lack of deliverables.

FFOS is nice, but it's too low end for my needs. Sailfish is middle of the road, but not coming to any market where I can buy it anytime soon. So with those two being the pick of the litter in regards to "seriousness", I'm going to find hope for better options sooner than later.

Read: I'm tired of waiting.
I hear you. I'm in a better position because I still hope that Jolla will somehow make it and I will get my hands on their product. I didn't say those options were awesome I just said were the only ones we have because at this point anything announced by Canonical should be considered a joke and Tizen is a really weird situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't agree with you, both Tizen and Ubuntu are interesting even if they have same delays as jolla. Ubuntus approach with only software is a issue but something that can change in the future. Tizen launch will be intressting even if I think it will be easy asia only at launch.

Sailfish, Tizen and Ubuntu all have the issues. I won't judge the before release. But that's just me...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Is something coming? https://twitter.com/zzste/status/392718794126143488
Soon as in how soon. Now I can't go to sleep

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Not about Sailfish(Jolla), but a pretty interesting read nonetheless:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyols...update-devices

Excerpt:
It’s part of the unique way that Xiaomi operates, closely analyzing the user feedback it gets on its smartphones and following the suggestions it likes for the next batch of 100,000 phones. It releases them every Tuesday at noon Beijing time. “Every batch is incrementally better,” said Hugo Barra, the ex-Google product executive who jumped over to Xiaomi in August in what looked like a role to help the company expand internationally. Barra was speaking on stage at the GMIC mobile conference in San Francisco on Tuesday, alongside Xiaomi’s billionaire founder Lei Jun. Just across the street at the Moscone Center North, Apple was releasing a new range of iPads, last updated in November 2012.
Barra, who had his own experience at Google to compare to, said Xiaomi’s obsessive and rapidly-executed focus on user feedback was “not something you see often in this landscape.” He revealed that product managers at the company can spend half their time perusing the company’s active user forums.
While this crowd-sourced approach to developing a product is the complete antithesis to Apple’s secretive, top-down approach, Xiaomi gets called the Apple of China on a regular basis.
“What we are trying to accomplish is very different to what Apple is trying to achieve,” said Jun, who spoke through a translator.
Kinda the sort of thing we've been pinning for here, but it has mostly evaded us, so far at least...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-23 at 09:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

Kinda the sort of thing we've been pinning for here, but it has mostly evaded us, so far at least...
No, not really. Xiaomi gets feedback from their customers. Jolla does not have a product yet, and this forum is not representative for the people who will later buy the device. It's just a small, but in parts very vocal and demanding group. Trying to please such a highly critic audience during product development would be a safe road to disaster, as there would always be someone who's not satisfied because his special needs are ignored, and who's going to express his anger. The Xiaomi approach is very interesting when you know your customers and their needs, but Jolla is jumping into cold waters in this regard atm, they just have to hope people will like their product.

Btw, stalking them on twitter is not constructive feedback. Let them just finish their product, they have no obligation whatsoever to give out further product specs or details about their plans. When they do it's great, if not, don't harass them, it just keeps them away from more important things, like coding or, probably, sleep.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
No, not really. Xiaomi gets feedback from their customers. Jolla does not have a product yet,
Yes, I meant to add that to my own sentence, I didn't get round to it as my attention was diverted elsewhere...

Btw, stalking them on twitter is not constructive feedback. Let them just finish their product, they have no obligation whatsoever to give out further product specs or details about their plans. When they do it's great, if not, don't harass them, it just keeps them away from more important things, like coding or, probably, sleep.
We didn't harass them, certainly not for the longest time, but we did eventually get their attention, & they provided the relevant info.
If it weren't for persistence in communicating the quandary we were in, it's quite possible they may never have responded in kind.

Relax, by the way....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-23 at 11:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red