Hi,

is it possible to transfer files using putty from windows XP system to N900.

Please advice.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia
Yes it is possible, but I recommend WinSCP.
All you need to do is install OpenSSH server on n900 (In maemo catalog) and connect it to your local WiFi network. Check your N900 IP adress by typing "ifconfig" as root in terminal, then connect to ip via putty or winscp.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2036708_transfer-files-ssh.html

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Suriname
Originally Posted by Deafboy View Post
Yes it is possible, but I recommend WinSCP.
All you need to do is install OpenSSH server on n900 (In maemo catalog) and connect it to your local WiFi network. Check your N900 IP adress by typing "ifconfig" as root in terminal, then connect to ip via putty or winscp.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2036708_transfer-files-ssh.html
Hi Guys

Have putty installed on my windows machine. for the host name have filled in my N900 IP address. Get a screen on my window machine "Maemo5-Nokia N900"
"Nokia-n900 login :"
To my understandig I am connected.
How do i get or create login and password to access the N900.
thank you

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
While installing openssh on your n900 you were asked for a password for root. So use this password to login as root. To create a password for user, use
Code:
passwd user

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Suriname
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
While installing openssh on your n900 you were asked for a password for root. So use this password to login as root. To create a password for user, use
Code:
passwd user
Have installed openssh client and server on the n900.but i see no icons on the desktop menu. ( installed and reinstalled).
Have PR1.3.
is there something wrong

Originally Posted by RdM View Post
Have installed openssh client and server on the n900.but i see no icons on the desktop menu. ( installed and reinstalled).
Have PR1.3.
is there something wrong
Why do you need icons for openssh?
Use the xterm and read
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commands.htm
before usage.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by shailesh View Post
Hi,

is it possible to transfer files using putty from windows XP system to N900.

Please advice.
No, afraid not.

Putty is a terminal emulator, with which you can connect via secure shell or telnet. The putty suite does come with pscp, which can be used to transfer files in the manner of ftp over secure shell.

What I believe you would be best to look at is Filezilla client for your XP machine. Install that, and install openssh-server on your N900.

You will need to know the IP address of your N900 ; you can do this by either launching X-Terminal and then run:

Code:
/sbin/ifconfig
Look for the inet address next to the wlan device. Alternatively, install conky ... this will show your IP address. Another option is the personal-ip-address widget (I use that one) which will show your IP address there.

As stated elsewhere in the thread, you may wish to create a password for the N900 user.

In the X-Terminal, run

Code:
passwd
and enter your password.

Finally, with all these credentials, connect to your N900 using FileZilla or winscp and you should be presented with an explorer-like view. Explore away ...

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
ok we know how to transfer the files using winscp on a windows machine, but the big question is can we use ssh to copy the files from the n900 ??? kind of like ovi files use to do .

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
ok we know how to transfer the files using winscp on a windows machine, but the big question is can we use ssh to copy the files from the n900 ??? kind of like ovi files use to do .
Not hugely sure what you are asking for / about. Without concerning ourselves with what secure shell facilitates, a use case scenario might make things a little clearer?

Sounds like you may be asking for rsync / mirroring or something a little more elaborate?

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ near Paris
if you want to scp (copy over secure shell) from the n900 to another host - this host need a ssh server on, not sure win is the best for ...