Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Just wanted to throw my $ .02:

Just received mine in the mail today and it seems to work as advertised. The thing is a *little* mangled, but just a teeny tiny bit which has no consequence when plugging it into the tablet. It works perfectly to read/write to a 2GB Sandisk Cruzer, and the USB status icon pops right up when it is connected. It did pop a warning widget saying that the device wasn't supported, but file manager saw and browsed it quite fine. I opened a 852 page PDF and it opened pages with about a 1 second delay. Pretty good if you ask me. Now the real question is will my USB keyboard at work operate normally. If so, this thing is a total no brainer for anyone using N800 with VNC or X-Term. Great work guys. Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
jayholler, my roll up USB keyboard works just fine "As advertised", so I would imagine any USB keyboard (unless it's really fancy and requires it's own drivers or something!) should work. Mice work as well but of course since there's no cursor they're a bit tricky to use ;o)

I'll be putting up the SD cards this afternoon for anyone who's interested... $40 cnd/8GB Class 6 card + same sort of shipping costs (can be grouped with the USB adapter). For networking, I've been looking into it and come up with a pretty decent solution but it does require a bit of software work so I'd like to try and get a .deb package made up along with instructions. In terms of hardware I'll post up a picture of what I've come up with here.

For the single/standalone power solution, how much power do most HDs require? (I'm assuming the HDD would be the most power hungry device compared to anything else) it'd be nice to use the power adapter that comes with the N800 but it only puts out 790 mA, so if requirements are higher than that (probably) I've got some 2A 5V adapters that I could bundle with a neat little dongle thing to give you powered USB port and optional plug to connect to power N800 at the same time (with any power that was left over)...

Thanks,
-Rob

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Rob, I just tried an old imac keyboard, first generation, and that also worked fine. It was a bit wonky to start up, it popped up a widget stating USB hub not supported, but by itself with nothing connected to it the keyboard worked great! This is so insanely useful I cannot believe it. You have done a great service to the IT community. Thanks again!

Yes, 790 mA is adequate for anything powered over USB (500 mA max allowed over USB), but the power negotiation fails if you just use an injector. What's needed is a 1-port powered hub. A dongle containing such a hub, and power pass-thru, would be handy, but I personally would prefer a multi-port (and bulky) hub, for the times I want to use a power-hungry device.

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
jayholler, my roll up USB keyboard works just fine "As advertised", so I would imagine any USB keyboard (unless it's really fancy and requires it's own drivers or something!) should work. Mice work as well but of course since there's no cursor they're a bit tricky to use ;o)

I'll be putting up the SD cards this afternoon for anyone who's interested... $40 cnd/8GB Class 6 card + same sort of shipping costs (can be grouped with the USB adapter).

Thanks,
-Rob
hi bro rob.
can i noe how much for posting to malaysia?
im interested in the adapter and also the 8gb sd card.
is it micro sd?

Last edited by toby.c13; 2008-02-25 at 17:21.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ La Pêche, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
For the single/standalone power solution, how much power do most HDs require? (I'm assuming the HDD would be the most power hungry device compared to anything else) it'd be nice to use the power adapter that comes with the N800 but it only puts out 790 mA, so if requirements are higher than that (probably) I've got some 2A 5V adapters that I could bundle with a neat little dongle thing to give you powered USB port and optional plug to connect to power N800 at the same time (with any power that was left over)...

Thanks,
-Rob
I think the max for a single USB port is 2.5W (500mA @ +5V). So 790mA is plenty.

Robert B.

Originally Posted by toby.c13 View Post
can i noe how much for posting to malaysia?
Standard international shipping via mail service is $11 flat. If you want a courier prices are quoted in real time on the website but they will be much higher.

I've also got a very limited quantity of those memory cards available, so anyone who's wants an adapter but is looking for a bit more incentive on the shipping costs (or you're just after a good affordable SDHC card here in Canada) take a look:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1798
These cards work perfectly with the N800, no slow transfers or compatibility problems at all.

Have to play around a bit with the power adapter idea, as I'm not sure if you need to have the circuity involved like a hub to quote the max power available to the device, or if you can just kind of "boost it up".

Also for anyone who's interested in the wired networking option, a picture (poor I admit, but again my camera's not here so I had to resort to a camera phone) of my current setup that works is attached. The proceedure for use right now is: plug in cable, launch browser/etc, choose "Wired" when list of connections pops up, surf away. When you're done, disconnect. You may have to launch a disconnect script just to get wifi working again properly if you don't want to restart, but I'm working on that one...

If people are interested I can try to get my hands on a larger supply of these adapters.

Thanks,
-Rob
Attached Images

hmmm.. interesting stuff.
so now the tablet can use LAN cable to go online too eh?
can i wait for all 3 items (adapter, sd card and wired networking adapter) to arrive in ur hands before ordering?
im interested in getting all 3 of them at one go.

are these memory cards compatible with the n800?

SanDisk 4 GB, Extreme III Secure Digital (SDHC) Memory Card
with MicroMate SD/SDHC compatible, high-speed USB 2.0 Reader

SanDisk 8 GB, Extreme III Secure Digital (SDHC) Memory Card
with MicroMate SD/SDHC compatible, high-speed USB 2.0 Reader

found it in some forum.

Okay, got my working USB-Ethernet setup sorted out and operating properly (there's a bit more tweaking that I'd want but it's pretty straight forward/fuctional now).

Here's the question: for Ethernet adapters, A) is there interest here? I know toby.c13 said he's looking, anyone else out there after this? B) What's the preferable way to go: full RJ45 jack with dongle ($25 + shipping but larger size) or compact version as pictured in my previous post ($35 + shipping but only as large as a thumb drive to carry around).

Once I get some feedback I'll bring in the appropriate equipment and get 'em up ready for sale along with the Package to get USB networking working without effort.

Thanks,
-Rob