I don't know if this happens to everyone, but when I install applications, and starter icons get installed in the "Extras" menu, the "Applications" menu (of which "Extras" is a part) gains scroll arrows at the top and bottom. I guess "Extras" makes the list too long. Not a big deal, but it did get me to thinking...

Does anyone know how to customize that menu to exclude, say, the "Help" button? Is there a configuration file somewhere in the filesystem, or is it hard-coded?

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Have a poke around inside /etc/others-menu/ (as root).

As a normal user, you can re-arrange /var/lib/install/etc/others-menu/ to affect the 'Extras' menu.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
So, could someone theoretically make an app to allow rearranging of menu items easy for normal user?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Certainly for the "Extras" menu - it's on my todo list if I ever get time. For the top-level menu, I'd envisage it also allowing re-arranging that if started as root.

Originally Posted by aflegg
Have a poke around inside /etc/others-menu/ (as root).

As a normal user, you can re-arrange /var/lib/install/etc/others-menu/ to affect the 'Extras' menu.
Thanks, aflegg, /etc/others-menu was exactly what I was looking for. I tried moving 2400_osso_help.desktop to .2400_osso_help.desktop (adding the dot to make it "hidden"), but it looks like dot files are read, too, so I just moved it to a new .removed subdirectory. Poof, Help is gone! I envision removing more and adding some custom ones (maybe FBReader and the PIM apps, since I use them so much).

Now, for a similar question...

I don't suppose there would also be a way to modify the functionality of the "Email" button on the left? (the one that has "Go to Inbox", "New e-mail", etc.). Actually, it'd probably be best if I could remove it entirely, since I don't use the mail client (I prefer gmail). But if not, I could use the space for more of my applications, if there is a way to add launchers to that Email menu.

Thanks for the help!

This is a great tip, but say you were someone like myself who hasn't hacked the root account yet..

Is it possible to create subfolders in the Extras menu?

EDIT : Nevermind, I hacked my way in as root

Last edited by TGKnIght; 2005-12-19 at 05:12.