Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Lithium tech batteries actualy are longest lived when kept(opinion varies on %) between 50% and 80% charging and discharging out of these bounds causes wear on the electrodes in the battery.
Even with the old nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal-hydride cells memory effect was more of an urban myth blame when encountering worn out cells for average users.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Actually, I wasn't speaking of the memory effect which is indeed controversal.

Just the fact it's not recommanded to let a Li-ion battery charging while it's already at 100% charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bearserker For This Useful Post:
Is CSSU indeed optional in version 1.0-3 as stated on the first page?

I installed power kernel, mceledpattern but no CSSU. Usbmode installed without problems but after trying switching the mode, it complains:

"You need to update your Maemo 5 system to last Community SSU version".

and

"Error: Setting USB mode is not supported".

I'd rather not install full CSSU with current problems with repositories. Is there a workaround?

I also tried h-e-n and it works but erratically. It recognizes only some devices and only after fresh reboot.

@memorer: Now I updated 1.0-3 version. Update it from first post (same link) and try again.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@memorer: Now I updated 1.0-3 version. Update it from first post (same link) and try again.
No change. The same error.

I've made a workaround myself, though, by commenting checking for ke-recv in usbmode.sh.

Now it works correctly but, similarly to h-e-n, only freshly after reboot. After changing to normal mode and trying to connect the USB device again, the USB mode can't settle for the mode and exits with an error. Rebooting the phone is very inconvenient but I'm happy it works at all.

I forgot to remove ke-recv check in usbmode.sh. Now I updated deb package - it should be fixed now.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bearserker View Post
- Get a new "Peripheral without charging" mode. I often use my phone as an USB key to store files, and I don't like to keep plugged when battery is already at full charge. Being able to connect the phone whitout charging it would be great !
I second this, although not for N900's battery life reasons. Being able to connect in peripherial without charging would aid *a lot*, when using N900 as 3G modem for notebook, via USB cable. Usually, batteries in laptops, while doing active networking, won't last even remotely as long, as N900 battery (especially, the dual one). Thus, in such situations, one doesn't want N900 to hijack power from notebook battery.

Phones able to provide network via USB cable without pulling power from same connection, are very appreciated. No reason, why we shouldn't have this possibility, if it's doable.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I forgot to remove ke-recv check in usbmode.sh. Now I updated deb package - it should be fixed now.
Yes. Fixed. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to memorer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Lima, Peru
After update deb package ok installation. I have a read only flash-drive, but when I want a read a hard disk HD I get a "unable to connect:no filesystem available" ..... please I need help

@emotion: do you have enought power for your HDD? Also try to use H-E-N (reboot before using) and wait more seconds between enumerate and vbus. Also not all USB devices working with n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
usbmode