Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I've tried and tried and tried, but the command line never worked. I backed up the /home/user/.mms/msg and tried to delete it on the N9 afterwards, but had permission problems to do it (even as root).

I think I'm going to wait for the Jolla to be delivered now.

perms problem would probably go away if you flash open mode kernel

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
If people still want to backup sms on their N9, this app works flawlessly!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=24

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone might reply to this SOS as I'm in a real bind. I've been using my N9 for about 5 years now as I love it, though the time has come to reluctantly change to a new phone, and I desperately want to export my sms's first.

I came across this thread and I've tried installing v0.3 and v0.4 but I've got problems. I've never had developer mode enabled and now can't install the remaining file as the nokia link has been removed. As a result I've tried installing the .deb files via email attachment and also by direct copying into the phones files and installing from there.

This is where I need help please. All installations start to install (with progress bar) and then after 15 seconds or so they just close. Can anyone tell me how to check if the app has installed and/or complete the install and how I can run the sms export without access to the command line via developer mode? Any help or other suggestions on how to export sms's from my trusty N9 will greatly appreciated as I've spent almost two weeks searching the Web but no answers yet. Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to N9er For This Useful Post:
This should help:
Thread re adding N9 repo

The Following User Says Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
This should help:
Thread re adding N9 repo
Ok, thanks Skyjumper, I'll look at repo, but I'm no programmer so I'm bumbling in the dark here If installing repo means reflashing then it's a 'no go' as that would obviously wipe all my sms's.

Skyjumper, can you tell me when this sms exporter app is installed, is it supposed to show as an app icon on the home screen, and you run it from there, or do you have to run it via the command line?

Cheers. M

Hi,
Yes it can be daunting at first. So initially install the repo deb, that will give you access to the Developer app. Install Developer mode and terminal. The sms exporter app runs from the command line.

I use this program: n9Export

It's much better than smsbackuprestore. The only issue is you need to compile it yourself. I have a working copy but not sure if I am allowed to send the binary to you...

The Following User Says Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Hi,
Yes it can be daunting at first. So initially install the repo deb, that will give you access to the Developer app. Install Developer mode and terminal. The sms exporter app runs from the command line.

I use this program: n9Export

It's much better than smsbackuprestore. The only issue is you need to compile it yourself. I have a working copy but not sure if I am allowed to send the binary to you...
Thanks for clarifying that Skyjumper. I'll try installing repo as looking at that Harmattan-SMS-Boat has just fried my brain!

I'm struggling to believe it's so difficult to get sms's off of a phone. I'd actually pay some one to do it for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to N9er For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by N9er View Post
Thanks for clarifying that Skyjumper. I'll try installing repo as looking at that Harmattan-SMS-Boat has just fried my brain!

I'm struggling to believe it's so difficult to get sms's off of a phone. I'd actually pay some one to do it for me.
It is not difficult, no. In the contrary it is amazingly simple, easier than on any other platforms I have ever done it. (well, except on SFOS which is pretty much the same thing as on Harmattan...)

Proof-of-my-point:
  • I tried to back up SMS'es from my wife's Lumia device, and it is absolutely impossible!
    There is no application to do it, and no access to any kind of command line either! Absolutely impossible!
    The only way to do it is to copy and paste each bloody SMS message manually to evernote client... You bet this takes time if there are lots of messages...
  • I also needed to do this to a friend's Samsung Android device, and yes, of course it was unrooted!
    I had to wrestle with the damn device a fair while to find a way to get at the SMS storage without accidentally wiping it while in the process...
  • Apple IOS devices... I have no idea! (never had to try that on IOS, lucky me...)

On harmattan you don't even need any application to do that. Of course you can use SMSBoat which is pretty neat way to do it but you can also do without any external tools; The SMS database is plain sqlite which you can dump in text mode by a simple query script

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
For enabling dev mode you need nokia repo mirrors
search with that keywords
or
https://maemo-repos.com

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: