Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
no matter if it'll be disruptive (i start hating this word even more than i already hate ecosystem), it'll at least stop the rumors for a while.
It will have to do a lot better to beat 'ecosystem' in the hate stakes...

The Following User Says Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Google.
Palm. hp.
Cisco. Linksys.
(just about all network gears equipment maker)
Moto.
Lenovo.
IBM.

The companies mentioned above are just a very very small fraction of those who have made HUGE amount of money by selling products/services powered by opensource components. (And managed to align their interests, somewhat, with the FOSS movement still).

So, no.

There are some very very creative people out there.
i don't think Google has much to do w/ open source.
their advertisement technology certainly isn't, is it?
nor are the search crawlers technology.

IBM, open source?
i don't think you know what you are talking about.
just because they released some Linux / GNU drivers for some of their platforms doesn't make then "open source" i'm afraid.
IBM is foremost a HW compnay; HW, open source?

same goes for HP, now owner of Palm...

is your definition of open source company a company which (ab-)used open source, by any chance?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alee View Post
its not the blind attitude, its the proven fact and truth. I must say it is a brilliant gadget, but only a fool will take it after they've used symbian, maemo or android, power users know that iCrap has no use to them, unless you want a useless fart app to get yourself satisfied....
I must be fool then and all who knows how many hundreds of thousands of people who have switched from Symbian to iPhone. Good example is MR forums that is about power users only, it's 40% iOS and 40% of Android, rest goes for other OS's. It used to be 90% Symbian, those people, me included have switched from Symbian that got features but nobody uses them because you don't wanna use them. Perfect example being browser. I have actually used the OS's and been on the Symbian bandwagon from the very start.

I had GS for 6 months but it was buggy as hell and app store is a mess. By far the best part of Android is the great hacking community that without GS would have been in trash after month.
iTunes is absolute mess, but unfortunate truth is Apple got by far the best app store with much more quality apps than any other app store and fastest UI at least at the time of GS. Sure there is fart apps like on any other store, but you need to search for them, not like on Android where fart app can actually be on top 10 on the entertaiment category. Key word is that Apple got most quality apps than any other platform.
This is exactly the blindess that has brought Nokia to it's knees and will probably strike it down as well. Nothing wrong with not liking the OS, i did not think iOS example was "ready" before iPhone 4, but the attitude that you can't understand why somebody likes it is the wrong way to look at it.

I would not want anything more on the gadget world than polished SMARTPHONE and i hope either N9 or maybe GS2 can offer that. I'm huge fan of the idea that Harmattan would have many features integrated right away. Neither do i want Nokia to copy Apple i want it to be something new.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-06-17 at 15:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
The way to make money with Open Source is to incorporate it into products, which is why hardware makers are indeed a driving force behind Open Source development.

True "Open Source companies" generally sell their services and development resources to such hardware makers. Such as mine and quite a few others who develop software for Nokia, in addition to their internal software teams.

It is a common mistake to believe, that software companies are legit only if they make their money from selling or otherwise monetizing software.

The bottom line is, people and companies make money from Open Source software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I would not want anything more on the gadget world than polished SMARTPHONE and i hope either N9 or maybe GS2 can offer that.
If you want raw power and Android's large number of apps, go with the GS2. If you want elegance and something more unique... patience!

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i don't think Google has much to do w/ open source.
their advertisement technology certainly isn't, is it?
nor are the search crawlers technology.

IBM, open source?
i don't think you know what you are talking about.
just because they released some Linux / GNU drivers for some of their platforms doesn't make then "open source" i'm afraid.
IBM is foremost a HW compnay; HW, open source?

same goes for HP, now owner of Palm...

is your definition of open source company a company which (ab-)used open source, by any chance?
Oh, my mistake. Judging from the introduction to OSS in their developerWorks portal, IBM might be a charity?

"IBM has committed to open source in a big way with contributions to more than 120 projects, including more than $1 billion in Linux® development."

Might want to spend all those time coloring and formatting your posts to researching and fact checking your arguments instead
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Question (!)
isn't Maemo.org NOKIA's ecosystem for the Maemo platform?
but it is open source, thus, no it doesn't bring any money directly.
I've posted something similar, but I will repeat myself. When first Apple disruptor appeared there were many debates Apple vs 770(I've chosen the later). The Simple Joe choose Apple, techie got 770.

Then next iteration appeared, the Joe got Disruptor 2, techie got N800. Disruptor 1 continued to live (received support, updates, and apps). 770 got dumped, left to community tied to maemo distro so it died after some time.

The Disruptor 3 was the one that finally marked end-of-life for Disruptor 1.

The big thing about this is, that techie will not recommend and will avoid future Nokia products, Simple Sam will recommend Disruptor X and stick to Apple.

So each time maemo architect dumped a new device, and recreated the world, he lost certain fraction of the community (animals and plants that are part of eco$i$tem).

Until last year, Nokia never understood the term eco$i$tem, now they are trying to put it everywhere, even in the salad.

If they want to survive battle with Apple, Chinese, Samsung, HTC, LG, they better mobilize everybody they can.

Some will appeal to hardware, others design, my price is truly open platform.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-17 at 13:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
redhat
Google
IBM
Are you going to do that for every company name?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
don't agree w/ rotten iPotatos (iPhone?) being disruptive technologies.
long before the 770 / N8x0 or the 7710 were pure touch screen phones (& except for the N810s, without kbds), thus the technology wasn't introduced by rotten iPotatos.
they just picked it up & put it in a nice looking device.
just like the MacIntosh interface wasn't "created" by Apple, back in the 80s.
Xerox @ PARC came up w/ the idea.

NOKIA, disruptive technologies?
yeah, maybe
where do you draw the line?
770? yes, still disruptive technology
N8x0s? same
77x0? probably wasn't supposed to be only a technological showcase, was it?
Communicators? disruptive technology? precursors of the smart devices?

EDIT: N900 ???
You're confusing innovative with disruptive.

A technology must be effective and reach critical mass to be disruptive.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You're confusing innovative with disruptive.

A technology must be effective and reach critical mass to be disruptive.
Yep. Innovation is about new things (or new combinations of old things). Disruption is is about the effect on the market.

So a product can be innovative without being disruptive, or it can be both innovative and disruptive. I don't think anything can be disruptive without being innovative (remember, even pricing can be innovation).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland