Just wishing...

i looked into maliit and how plugins are done, but it seems the toolbar as it is in terminal app is dependent on in-app logic.

i think the terminal keyboard toolbar is very nice.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
You could probably just edit the keyboard definition file and add more keys in if you wanted a similar keyboard system-wide?

Though I did try the other day to add left and right arrows to the sides of the space bar (my biggest bugbear with vkbs) and the keys appeared but didn't work, but I didn't investigate it sufficiently to see whether I'd done it wrong or whether I should file a bug.

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
You could probably just edit the keyboard definition file and add more keys in if you wanted a similar keyboard system-wide?

Though I did try the other day to add left and right arrows to the sides of the space bar (my biggest bugbear with vkbs) and the keys appeared but didn't work, but I didn't investigate it sufficiently to see whether I'd done it wrong or whether I should file a bug.
Arrows keys work now, with latest PR 1.2. You can add them in layout files as <key><binding label="←" action="left"> (and up,right,down work too). I will try to make time for a language pack (there have been new contributions to language layouts that are not in PR 1.2), and I think I will also have at least an EN layout with arrow keys. It's on my TODO list, no worries ;-)

Disclaimer: I am a Maliit core developer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
For the terminal toolbar, it's just another XML file. Applications would have to claim to use it, so you can add it to your own application, but not platform wide (in hindsight, we should have added a global configuration for that, but yeah well …).

You can read the MeeGo terminal code, the toolbar registration happens here:
http://gitorious.org/meego-terminal/...ay.cpp#line435

Happy hacking!

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
yep, as soon as pr1.2 came out I made my own keyboard kind of n9-like with arrows.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=91

loving it so far. need to tweak the symbols file too to make the 'underneath' shift and alt keys match up. one day when I have time

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Looks good, but I know that our UX team would have *never* allowed us to publish this as a proper PR 1.2 layout :-D

Does anyone know how to write {curly brackets} ? I can only find "( )" and "[ ]".

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by stalhein View Post
Does anyone know how to write {curly brackets} ? I can only find "( )" and "[ ]".
Same here. :-/ Has anyone found them?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
Accidentally I found the solution ... Just install english (us) keyboard. Usually I'm using german layout.

Tags
keyboard, maliit, mesinput, terminal, toolbar