Posts: 131 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Indonesia
guys please help me' my n900 menus seems disassapeared, its occured when i edited hildon.menu in .config, bcs i want to add folders in menu, now i cant acces menus, all i can do is only acces some widgets, but cant acces shortcut in desktop help..

regards.. dhicky

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
So much facepalm.

Okay, this is why editing hildon.menu is dangerous(TM), and can cause unhappy things to your device. Such as it self destructing in your face. You're lucky you're still alive. Now, very carefully (and don't shake the N900 too much when you do this, because it is armed and highly volatile when Hildon Menu is messed up) open your N900's keyboard, press Ctrl+Shift+X (at the same time), and this should open up X-Terminal. I HIGHLY emphasize the carefully part - messed up hildon.menu causes a bug where the battery is caused to slowly overload, and if bumped too sharply, it can explode.

Then, type:

Code:
cp [path and name of your backup of the original hildon.menu] [the path and name of the hildon menu file you messed up]
And please tell me you made a backup. If you haven't, let me know and I'll see if I can dig-up a default hildon.menu file for you.

I would recommend, from now on, that you install ApMeFo FIRST, then look around at the file structure it creates in /home/user/.config/menu/ - and only then modify stuff after you understand the patter that follows.

(P.S. I'm just screwing with you on the exploding battery causing bug thing. It's perfectly safe. The rest is serious though.)

Edit: Oh and you have to copy it over as root to be able to override the existing file you changed with the backup, unless you changed write permissions on the file already. But I'm guessing you knew that since you had to be able to become root to change the hildon.menu file (But it's possible you did it through filebox with root access or something, so you may not have known).

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-12-19 at 06:43. Reason: Forgot to mention something.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Okay, I do realize in my desire to get off some anal humor I forgot some possibly helpful points:

Once you open X-Terminal, in case you don't know how to use it, "cd" changes directories, "cd .." goes up one, "cd [name-of-directory]" moves you into that directory. You can search "Learning the Shell" in google, there's a nice tutorial called that online that teaches the basic Linux shell commands.

Anyway, IF you don't have rootsh installed, and thus can't become root from the terminal, you can usually launch all the apps you'd need to change hildon.menu back from X-Terminal.

Code:
hildon-application-manager
Will launch the App Manager. With it, you should be able to install rootsh if you haven't yet. From there you can use X-Terminal to do the copy command above. If you really don't want to use X-Terminal, you can type
Code:
sudo gainroot
to become root. Then as root, launch whatever else you normally use to copy/edit the hildon.menu file. If you remember the changes you made, you can simply edit that file back to normal, and try that... If you fix everything right, the menu SHOULD reload correctly (though you may have to give it a few seconds to a minute after opening the menu for it to reload... So don't panic if at first it looks like it didn't work).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Dhicky View Post
<snip>
Interesting nick you got yourself there : )

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Just fire up terminal with CTRL + SHIFT + X and
Code:
rm /home/user/.config/menus/hildon.menu
A new one should be auto generated.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
So much facepalm.

Okay, this is why editing hildon.menu is dangerous(TM), and can cause unhappy things to your device. Such as it self destructing in your face. You're lucky you're still alive. Now, very carefully (and don't shake the N900 too much when you do this, because it is armed and highly volatile when Hildon Menu is messed up) open your N900's keyboard, press Ctrl+Shift+X (at the same time), and this should open up X-Terminal. I HIGHLY emphasize the carefully part - messed up hildon.menu causes a bug where the battery is caused to slowly overload, and if bumped too sharply, it can explode.

Then, type:

Code:
cp [path and name of your backup of the original hildon.menu] [the path and name of the hildon menu file you messed up]
And please tell me you made a backup. If you haven't, let me know and I'll see if I can dig-up a default hildon.menu file for you.

I would recommend, from now on, that you install ApMeFo FIRST, then look around at the file structure it creates in /home/user/.config/menu/ - and only then modify stuff after you understand the patter that follows.

(P.S. I'm just screwing with you on the exploding battery causing bug thing. It's perfectly safe. The rest is serious though.)

Edit: Oh and you have to copy it over as root to be able to override the existing file you changed with the backup, unless you changed write permissions on the file already. But I'm guessing you knew that since you had to be able to become root to change the hildon.menu file (But it's possible you did it through filebox with root access or something, so you may not have known).
thanks,,, i dont have any back up , i did flash the n900 to older maemo version but it cant read my sim card, im going to flash it into pr 1.3 would it be normal again though? btw i really appreciated you thank you so much

The Following User Says Thank You to Dhicky For This Useful Post:
Probably best to do what MohammadAG suggested. He typically knows what he's talking about - if you use the command he gave, it should delete your messed up hildon.menu, and then the system will create a new correct one for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Code:
thank you MohammadAG i really appreciate that, its now normal again, actually i knew that your so expert, i saw many of your usefull posts you rock man!!!!@assalamualaikum!!!!

Last edited by Dhicky; 2010-12-20 at 07:16. Reason: It works

and finally, you its so really nice of you guys, wasting you time for dumb like me hehehe,, thank you a lot!!!!!

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Code:
I have a similar problem as the OP. I installed Catorize and mymenu (in my attempts to get a proper menu configuration, although neither of them did what I wanted) and just today I uninstalled them, since they didn't' do what I was looking for.
My problem is that after I uninstalled them, my menu was only listing the default programs for my phone, not the ones I've installed. Searching for a solution, I found that ApMeFo program, I had to create a shortcut to my desktop (considering I can't see any of the installed programs in the menu), but it won't open (some programs seem to be opening and others don't).
I did what MohammadAG posted, to get the hildon.menu file to reset to defaults, but the menu is still the same. I have restarted the phone after I made the changes to hildon.menu too, and it didn't make a difference.
Is there anything else I can do?

EDIT: I installed Catorize again and it seemed to fix both the menu issue and my desktop shortcuts problem; I can't see why it would do that. I'm afraid of uninstalling it again and having to go through all the trouble I did before to do anything... (I couldn't get to the App Manager, since it didn't appear in the menu list; so I had to install a program from the Ovi Store and then work with the App Manager from there). Does anyone have any ideas why I get this problem?
I checked out the hildon.menu file before and after installing Catorize and it didn't seem to have changed the file at all.

Last edited by nobile; 2011-02-04 at 16:45.