Poll: After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?
Poll Options
After having experienced the Nokia N900, which phone would you get next (replacement phone)?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
After twelve months I'm starting to get bored with my n900... I just bought a galaxy tab and I have to admit I'm really impressed with android.
Galaxy Tab ? What the ?
Nice big screen but doesnt fit in jeans pockets so easily.

Add to the pull Samsung Galaxy S I9000.
Nowdays Galaxy S I9000 already got update to Android 2.2 (2.2.1).
Samsung has already announced Android 2.3 for Galaxy S I9000.
Yes Galaxy is not so geeky, but the screen is amazing.
I had the please to watch animation movie directly from YouTube HD and the picture was crystal clear like DVD or Blue-Ray.
I don't want to compare I9000 and N900, they are in two different categories, but I9000 definitely has future.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
Galaxy Tab ? What the ?
Nice big screen but doesnt fit in jeans pockets so easily.
Yeah I'm using it purely as a tablet not a phone.. Its replaced my netbook as my couch surfer.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Im really not sure yet..

The N900 has been the best phone I have ever owned. I have finished my 1yr contract and Im going to wait and see what happens.
Im tempted by the N9 or whatever it will be called, and like the idea of Meego, but it depends on certain things..

Decent map support

Ovi maps is pants on the N900, just looking at google maps 5 makes me green with envy

Stellarium getting updated to work with Meego and support a digital compass, Im forever using google night sky on my partners HTC desire

Better application support for Meego? Im unlucky enough to have alot of magazine subscriptions through zinio reader, they do an iphone app and an android app, Im hoping for a meego app..

Better google syncing - its a must..

I like Maemo, and Im hoping that Meego will be a success so that everyone starts bringing apps out for it by default as it becomes more widespread. I want 'there is an app for that' to apply for Meego, not just android or apple.

Luckily, because I have such a good phone I can wait as I can't see anyone knowing whether Meego will be a success until v2.0 or beyond as it takes time to build the apps and the user base.

I hope it does succeed, if it fails, then I will probably go down the android route, but due to this community and the n900's brilliance, I can hold off a while and see how things pan out before getting another phone

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
My next phone... hmm...

It has to be open (as in "getting root" on the command line).
It also has to offer the same connectivity options as the N900, like Skype, Jabber (Jingle), SIP and all that.

The N8 does not feature neither of these options, no Skype, no Jabber or other IM integration. Switching to such a phone would feel like a massive downgrade for me, although the hardware is very nice.

Told that to a Nokia sales rep when they had a booth with the new N8 on display in a mall recently. Nokia builds great hardware, no doubt. But I don't want to be limited anymore by the OS with missing features!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I like the idea of the N9 however...

DRM will be present on the phone - how locked down will it be?

Nokia's track record on software management, support and communication is well dodgy -

"It's like a masterbating monkey trying to recite the sonnets of William Shakespeare while flying a helicopter and trying to solve the Hodge conjecture all at the same time"

I want to like the N9 and MeeGo but I will wait and see.

At the moment the N9 is the closest thing to the successor of the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Depends what the n9 is like, although by the time my contract is up it will be at least a year old (if it is released before June)

Right now I wouldn't swap my n900 for anything else I've seen..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
"it's like a masterbating monkey trying to recite the sonnets of william shakespeare while flying a helicopter and trying to solve the hodge conjecture all at the same time"
lol

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
It is things like this that make me hold off on my next phone

amazon-updates-android-kindle

Im hanging on hoping that this sort of thing will come to Meego..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

I think WebOS devices is definitely a choice. This is the only OS which bring me some excitements, and offer a lot if you want to delve into the development world.

The Following User Says Thank You to riverus For This Useful Post: