It contains all the patches of SSU-community, plus high speed mmc, and of course the compcache notify patch, which means that the unused swap of compcache is now considered free by the kernel, so no more slowdowns after a while. My N810 has never been so fast.

It is too large for being posted here, but here it is

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BKSRJLD6

It would be great to have this patch directly included in the SSU version.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Notify enabled kernel is useless without notification enabled ramzswap.ko module (and ramzez-0.0.3 modules are not notify enabled, otherwise they wouldn't even load in diablo/ssu kernel because unresolved symbols).
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid what you are experiencing is just placebo effect.

Since you don't seem afraid to build and run your own kernels, in order to not duplicate efforts, I'd ask you to join me and help me.
All my kernels in the "diablo turbo" project are compcache notifify enabled, and the package includes the right ramzswap modules which will be installed in the right place if you have ramzez installed.
My current SD kernel is very stable now, so in very few days I'll make a first beta release with full source code (that means, many kernel patches, a new compcache release, and some other userspace packages).
If you want to test it right now, download the last sd kernel build (it is not what I'm running/hacking right now but it's very near)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Notify enabled kernel is useless without notification enabled ramzswap.ko module (and ramzez-0.0.3 modules are not notify enabled, otherwise they wouldn't even load in diablo/ssu kernel because unresolved symbols).
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid what you are experiencing is just placebo effect.
Why then does the ramswap usage decrease when I quit some programs? Am I missing something? The placebo effect is very strong indeed, since now I am able to swap between Easy Debian, fbreader with a large file loaded and Canola2 without delay.

All my kernels in the "diablo turbo" project are compcache notifify enabled, and the package includes the right ramzswap modules which will be installed in the right place if you have ramzez installed.
I will try them as soon as I have more time. Thanks for your efforts.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by dcy View Post
Why then does the ramswap usage decrease when I quit some programs? Am I missing something? The placebo effect is very strong indeed, since now I am able to swap between Easy Debian, fbreader with a large file loaded and Canola2 without delay.
Because the raw ramzswap module is able to free some memory sometimes, but not much, not often, only if the system writes over an already swapped out page. But the amount of memory freed is much lower, compared to ramzswap with swap notifier.

I know, because...
- Ramzez is compcache 0.5.3
- First 0.5 ramzswap module with swap notifier was in compcache 0.5.4, not 0.5.3
- compcache 0.5.3 crashes, unless you use an arm test release posted somewhere in the issue tracker.
- There is a config variable you need to define for the modules to be built with notify.
- compcache 0.5.4 doesn't build for diablo kernel, unless you apply my patches.
- compcache 0.5.4 crashes after adding a second swap file, unless you apply my patches (http://code.google.com/p/compcache/issues/detail?id=80)
- compcache 0.5.4 doesn't have backing swap file, unless you apply my patches (http://code.google.com/p/compcache/issues/detail?id=81)

And, finally, a simple proof:
If the ramzswap module is using notification, cat /proc/ramzswap will show some additional info. Look for "NotifyFree", is it there? No? Then it is not using notification.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post

And, finally, a simple proof:
If the ramzswap module is using notification, cat /proc/ramzswap will show some additional info. Look for "NotifyFree", is it there? No? Then it is not using notification.
Excellent, many thanks for your detailed explanations, which are very much appreciated. I will then try your kernel.