Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
There is a clock tower at 43.081423,-70.73899 that rings out ships bells instead of hours if that helps with your project. I once heard that it's the only one in the world that does that. I have no idea if that's true or not. That's a big claim.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by marnanel View Post
It occurred to me the other day that Belltower could be usefully generalised. Imagine if there was a Maemo package called "nearby" which provided an app which, given a set of items with coordinates and associated URLs, allowed you to find the nearest ones, find them on the map, get driving directions, bookmark them, and so on-- but it would be agnostic as to what the items actually were.
Excellent! A "nearby public toilets" dataset would be useful, as would "nearby swimming pools", "nearby cinemas", "nearby beaches", "nearby bookstores" etc.

These datasets wouldn't even need to be installed on the device. They could be communally maintained on a wiki, downloaded on demand, and updated instantly "from the device" if they were out of date.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Excellent! A "nearby public toilets" dataset would be useful, as would "nearby swimming pools", "nearby cinemas", "nearby beaches", "nearby bookstores" etc.

These datasets wouldn't even need to be installed on the device. They could be communally maintained on a wiki, downloaded on demand, and updated instantly "from the device" if they were out of date.

Regards,
Roger
This sounds like basically creating a user-editable Points of Interest database. I wonder if something like OpenStreetMaps already has something like this? Of course, the belltower app stores and displays much more than just location coordinates...

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
This sounds like basically creating a user-editable Points of Interest database. I wonder if something like OpenStreetMaps already has something like this?
OpenStreetMaps certainly has this facility, but the barrier to entry is too high unless you're interested in mapmaking. Also you need to consider social issues. The OSMappers would no doubt be very happy for you to add POIs for public toilets, but would probably consider that POIs for (say) rumored UFO abduction sites was not within the spirit of the OSM project.

What I have in mind is that anyone could edit a web page or wiki page. Perhaps the convention could be as simple as "Put the points of interest in a bulleted list. For each one, list the name followed by the GPS co-ordinates, followed by optional IMG tags and a textual description. Voila, your POIs are immediately accessible to anyone with a Maemo device.

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia
So for the belltowers, the import from Dove's Guide could be done on the wiki, and the Maemo app would just need to download from there. Nice idea.

So as to the front page: currently, it looks like this:

I wonder whether it would be more Maemo-ish if I made it look something more like this:

Thoughts?

robotfindskitten 1.40 adds portrait mode; it also has a new system for touchscreen control suggested by Will Thompson. If you'd like to playtest, let me know.

Last edited by marnanel; 2010-01-16 at 22:45. Reason: add screenshot