Notices

Penguinbait: I downloaded your dotkde tar and -- PERHAPS? -- installed it correctly. Now when I boot, I still get the KDE Panel Crash Handler Screen, and when I close that my desktop now shows an icon that wasn't there before, labeled ".directory" (I'm not certain about the dot). When I click on that I get a small screen named "kwrite - KDialog" that says " Will not save configuration/Configuration/file /home/user/kde/share/config/kwriterc/not writeable." When I click OK on that screen, it disappears and then lets me get into Konqueror when I click on Home.

As a further comment to your most recent postings in this thread, I have never yet had my installed KDE crash or automatically reboot on me. I also have not reflashed to the new operating system, nor at this time intend to.

I don't know if any of the above is of any use to you.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2007-03-27 at 04:09.

I have it working, but it wasn't easy. On my first try I made my partition too small. I thought 950 MB would be enough, but my "120 MB" root actually used about 220MB on my memory card. You need at least 1.1 GB. I have a 1.5 GB partition now.

After actually installing everything, I was able to load a desktop but the panel kept crashing. My windows also had hildon themed title bars. I was the menu icon here.
I think I tried "/etc/init.d/af-services stop" from xterm and the device promptly rebooted.
Then I tried it again from ssh and rebooted again. I ran "stopmaemo" as root with ssh and kde came up properly. I ran it again as user from ssh and that also worked. The menu icon works now, but I don't know what I did to fix it.

Also, I have gotten though kpersonalizer by using the d-pad. On the first couple of screens make your selection then press the center button. On the last screen, I believe this is the window decoration screen, you need to go one click to the left before pressing enter.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Thats really odd guys, just now this is what I did?

I loaded brand spanking new flash 10-7
untarred KDE from root
Booted and I thought it had crash, not sure if it actually did? I used the power button and turned off the n800.
I booted back up, installed becomeroot, osso-xterm, openssh-installer
logged in via ssh
What user did you log in as (user or root?)
ran stopmaemo
did you do anything besides typing 'stopmaemo' (i.e. sudo)?

(snip)
What exactly happens when you start kde from the menu, does the screen turn black? does the splash screen display, does the desktop load with icons. Are you rebooting it or does it crash? How long are you waiting after you click the KDE icon?
I normally run stopmaemo as user 'user' with no arguments. The screen goes white then black, then I see KDE starting up. In another ssh session I can see that matchbox is still running. It never quits and so once KDE starts up to the point where I get the blue desktop/icons I get the message about kicker crashing. Matchbox is still running and if I run '/etc/af-services stop' as root I can manually start kwin and kicker and things will work. Running stopmaemo via the KDE icon from the Extras menu does exactly the same thing.
I've finally come up with a sort of solution-- I added the line below to stopmaemo after the matchbox.sh stop:
sudo /etc/init.d/af-services stop

Larry when you run stopmaemo, as user "user" are you saying after matchbox stop runs, "ps | grep matchbox" shows it running? There is a small lag between when matchbox stops and kwin starts. the splash screen is displayed before kwin starts.
Yes, that's exactly what's happening. I can wait forever but matchbox never dies.

Larry

Penguinbait: One of your earlier suggestions was to either remove or rename (as "-backup) the /home/user/.kde directory, which I did on several occasions, with no noticeable improvement in effecting a completely successful rebooting. However, I have noticed that the .kde directory keeps returning to my /home/user directory after I've removed/renamed it. My supposition is that something in what I'm doing is recreating it. Is this effected through my mere act of rebooting, or through the stopmaemo process (which seems to download and install all sorts of files when I execute that command via ssh with my internet connection open)? I'm puzzled.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
What user did you log in as (user or root?)

did you do anything besides typing 'stopmaemo' (i.e. sudo)?

(snip)

I normally run stopmaemo as user 'user' with no arguments. The screen goes white then black, then I see KDE starting up. In another ssh session I can see that matchbox is still running. It never quits and so once KDE starts up to the point where I get the blue desktop/icons I get the message about kicker crashing. Matchbox is still running and if I run '/etc/af-services stop' as root I can manually start kwin and kicker and things will work. Running stopmaemo via the KDE icon from the Extras menu does exactly the same thing.
I've finally come up with a sort of solution-- I added the line below to stopmaemo after the matchbox.sh stop:
sudo /etc/init.d/af-services stop

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. I can wait forever but matchbox never dies.

Larry

Can you tell me whats installed, is this a plain jane. I have heard of people having problems if they are running a theme. I am only using the default theme, could this be an issue with you?

stopmaemo should be run as user, the variables in the stopmaemo script are necessary to get matchbox to stop. I only ran as user, no sudo is needed.

If you look in the stopmaemo you will see the line to stop matchbox, what happens if you run that manually.

You say you "SEE" matchbox is still running? Are you talking visibly, not ps? You can not see matchbox running, you can see maemo-desktop running?

thx penguinbait for this great port. But a few Questions i have.

- Is it possible to run all kde apps?

- Did i install kde on sd card ?

- Did i have the opinion to choose the OS when i start?

- Ii it fast enough to work on kde?

- Did i have the right mouse Button?

- Did i have a onscreen keyboard?

THX for your work and your answers.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by mupper View Post
thx penguinbait for this great port. But a few Questions i have.

you can run the kde apps, in my tarball

- Did i install kde on sd card ?
yes

- Did i have the opinion to choose the OS when i start?
Boots to hildon, with menu option for startiNg KDE

- Ii it fast enough to work on kde?
yes

- Did i have the right mouse Button?
no

- Did i have a onscreen keyboard?
yes

THX for your work and your answers.
Does this answer your questions?

you can run the kde apps, in my tarball
THX for your Answer. Can i install some new Software on KDE?

I will try to install KDE at this evening.

Penguinbait: Presume you're still tweaking things, but as an update to my efforts (insignifcant as they may be), I have noted that in installing the keyboard per your instructions to run /usr/local/bin/keyboard.sh, I get the following error message:

"Sorry - server Keyboard map doesn't contain either 2 or 4 KeySyms per Keycode - unsupported!"

However, the keyboard still appears, but I seemingly must type the command everytime I'm in the terminal for it to appear.

Also, even though I still have not experienced any system crash when I boot-up KDE, I am still unable to get past the point of installing the KDE panel, i.e., I still get the KDE Panel Crash Handler Screen.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2007-03-28 at 14:44.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mupper View Post
THX for your Answer. Can i install some new Software on KDE?

I will try to install KDE at this evening.
Any software you want to install needs to be recompiled for the Numpc's processor architecture. Your only options are: use the ones that have been pre-compiled or fire up the old compiler yourself.

Possible exceptions: shell scripts, maybe programs for runtime libraries like Python, something else?...