Posts: 178 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Mira (Venice) - Italy
Hi, I'd like to remove some packages (I don't use/need them) but mp-fremantle-community-pr depends on them.

I can't use "apt-get remove" because I will remove mp-fremantle-community-pr and other packages, instead I use "dpkg --purge --force-depends <<package name>>" to remove only one package at time (and only what I want).

Now the packages are gone, and apt works as usual but after time I use it, apt show go crazy and show a wall of warnings warnings warnings.

The solution without any modification to mp-fremantle-community-pr will be a dummy package creator like equivs (http://www.brain-dump.org/blog/entry...cies_in_Debian). iIs there something like this for N900?

Exemple:
- I want to remove package A
- mp-fremantle-community-pr depends on A
- I remove A with "dpkg --purge --force-depends A"
- I create a dummy package A version 100 (so It will never be replaced by the real one)
- I install dummy A
- apt-get autoremove --purge (just to clean up)

I know it's an "ugly" workaround but It should works...

Is there a way to crate a dummy deb package on my N900?

Last edited by Vento; 2014-06-07 at 13:29. Reason: Better title

It will be useful a command that create a dummy package, something like this:

mkdummy <<.deb destination>> <<version>> <<package name>>

Exemple:

mkdummy ./ 100 modest

Btw I'm not a coder so I don't know how this should be implemented...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I assume you are familiar with this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82641

FWIW, I have purged a lot of packages from my phone, including the fremantle metapackage, and I could not be happier. The whole purpose of the metapackage is to pull in dependencies. If you don't need the dependencies, you don't need the metapackage. Any autoremoved packages can be installed manually (apt-get install), which will mark them for not getting autoremoved again.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I assume you are familiar with this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82641

FWIW, I have purged a lot of packages from my phone, including the fremantle metapackage, and I could not be happier. The whole purpose of the metapackage is to pull in dependencies. If you don't need the dependencies, you don't need the metapackage. Any autoremoved packages can be installed manually (apt-get install), which will mark them for not getting autoremoved again.
Yes, I've already read it time ago but if I remove mp-fremantle-community-pr will I broke CSSU updates (and system info under configuration menu)?

Btw could someone please recompile equivs for fremantle? And, maybe I'm wrong but, if I download equivs (armel version) with wget from here https://packages.debian.org/search?a...eywords=equivs (debian repos) I should able to install it with "dpkg -i "? equivs depends on debhelper, fakeroot, perl, make and dpkg-dev, all of these already exist for maemo... is possible or only madness?

OT:
"Madness?... THIS... IS... SPARTAAAA!"

Last edited by Vento; 2014-06-07 at 15:08.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Vento View Post
Btw could someone please recompile equivs for fremantle? And, maybe I'm wrong but, if I download equivs (armel version) with wget from here https://packages.debian.org/search?a...eywords=equivs (debian repos) I should able to install it with "dpkg -i "? equivs depends on debhelper, fakeroot, perl, make and dpkg-dev, all of these already exist for maemo... is possible or only madness?
equivs-control is a bash script that just copies a file. Only need to replace #!/bin/bash with #!/bin/sh and it will work.

equivs-build is a perl script. You need perl, perl-modules (comes with perl) and fakeroot (SDK repository). I'm not sure it works out of the box on Maemo, but nothing prevents you from using equivs on another box to create packages for Maemo.

I'll see if I can post an example, but it may have to wait two weeks (going on holiday).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
equivs-control is a bash script that just copies a file. Only need to replace #!/bin/bash with #!/bin/sh and it will work.

equivs-build is a perl script. You need perl, perl-modules (comes with perl) and fakeroot (SDK repository). I'm not sure it works out of the box on Maemo, but nothing prevents you from using equivs on another box to create packages for Maemo.

I'll see if I can post an example, but it may have to wait two weeks (going on holiday).
Thank you

Originally Posted by Vento View Post
Yes, I've already read it time ago but if I remove mp-fremantle-community-pr will I broke CSSU updates (and system info under configuration menu)?
No, CSSU is just a repository. You can update all it's packages manually when they come out, without mp-fremantle-community-pr. The latter does nothing on it's own, except for that system info under configuration.

The rule of thumb (and universe) is that everyone, at some point of time, will end up getting rid of mp-fremantle-community-pr, due to it conflicting with whatever operation one just want to perform. Following it, if you're doomed to do it anyway, in weeks, months, or years, you might as well do it now. You won't miss it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bla1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
As bla1 says. The only "useful" purpose of the -pr is the About Community SSU entry in in Settings, to keep reminding you which flavour of CSSU you are running. If you can live without that, you can live without -pr.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
As bla1 says. The only "useful" purpose of the -pr is the About Community SSU entry in in Settings, to keep reminding you which flavour of CSSU you are running. If you can live without that, you can live without -pr.
a package that provides the same thing of mp-.....-pr (the infos on the conf menu) but with no dependencies will be very useful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vento For This Useful Post: