Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
so i take it this stuff is built into diablo now?

interesting. now to find a compatible usb device...

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
so i take it this stuff is built into diablo now?
No, I don't think so. As far as I know, just the kernel module is included. You still need the rest of my sisusb packages to do anything with it. But you never know, maybe it means someone inside Nokia is looking at it?

Graham

Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
No, I don't think so. As far as I know, just the kernel module is included. You still need the rest of my sisusb packages to do anything with it. But you never know, maybe it means someone inside Nokia is looking at it?

Graham
I'd say it does mean that...

As for dropping kernel support, yeah, even Karel Jansens has switched to Diablo now, and I'm in the process of emailing Diablo to someone who needed it and can't download it... I think the few people running Chinook should be fine with the current version until they upgrade.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I'm fine with it. have it since june, and works well.

And since I'm booting from a 16gb SD, I don't want to spend days trying to restore my system to the way it was (about 75% of the installed programs are from repositories - others are manual debs).

that's why I still go with chinook

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Hi,

I made a little step forward to use the actual poc as solution for holding presentations a little bit easier.

I compiled anyremote for chinook(works under diablo aswell) to remote control the sisbit script via a standard bluetooth mobile phone.
See this list if you could use your phone as well (I used a 6230i and 6151 from Nokia).

So my vision of a desktop solution becomes quite real

So what to do (all your USB2VGA2 adapter is ready to use and sisbit software installed):
  1. Install bluetooth part of anyremote on the N800/N810 (attached deb file)
  2. Put the unzipped config file sisslide.cfg (attached) anywhere on your tablet as well.
  3. Put the unzipped slideshowscript showslide.sh (attached) in /home/user
  4. Adjust your path of slides and slidename prefix at the beginning of the script (IMAGEPRE)
  5. Be sure it has the x-bit: chmod +x /home/user/showslide.sh
  6. Upload the java client from the anyremote website to your phone (i did it with gammu -nokiaaddfile ... from my linux machine)
  7. Start server N8x0 side: anyremote -f [path]/sisslide.cfg
  8. Select anyremote application on phone, choose connect via BT address, enter BT address of your N8x0.
  9. Press 6 for going forward through your presentation.
  10. Press 4 for going backward through your presentation.
  11. Press 2 for resetting the actual slide number to the start slide

Such a remote control of the tablet is mosty not interesiting for the users, because from remote you can't see what's the reaction on the screen if you press buttons on your phone.
But with the usb2vga adapter and the great sisbit software it's quite funny to use your usual mobile phone controlling your presentation from the tablet.

Now I think the only part left is the x-server of the N8x0 controllable by mouse natively and we have it
USB keyboard, mouse, usb2vga adapter...
Mobile tablet for stationary use...

I intend to present this at the maemo summit in a lightning session - press your fingers crossed for me, that it is accepted.

Good luck with this!
Attached Files
File Type: deb anyremote_4.6-2_armel.deb (37.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: gz showslide.sh.gz (340 Bytes, 188 views)
File Type: gz sisslide.cfg.gz (541 Bytes, 198 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to asys3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
hi there,

just have two small questions:
1) How did the presentation at the maemo summit go?
2) I noticed you uploaded a new version... what are the modifications?

thank you

Ilia

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

The presentation slides can be found here.

Regards,
asys3

After having a chat with Graham about Xserver modifications, and with some Nokians who were mentioning that the USB otg host is slow, I'm interested. Has anyone worked out the (actual) USB bandwidth? Obviously only updating the parts of the screen that need to be would be an optimisation, but won't really solve the problem of displaying videos, etc.

Where's the cheapest place to get one of these in the UK?

Cheers,

Si

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Where's the cheapest place to get one of these in the UK?
I've only been able to find one place that sells it part from startech's UK website, £62 + P&P =~ £67, i.e. about US$125!
http://www.systemsassurance.com/syss...eferer=Froogle

on startech's website, click top right if you need to change country to UK, then search for "USB2VGA2". they don't list the 4-in-1 dock
http://www.startech.com/item/USB2VGA...y-Adapter.aspx

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I did my Easy Debian presentation using the Nokian internal version of this hack. They actually clone the tablet's screen to the external display, and it works... sort of.

My slide animations looked fine on the tablet but they were so slow on the external display that they weren't really animations.

Anyway, they kinda-sorta promised a release of their patches, but still nothing...

These are the guys to prod about getting us their video-out stuff:

Productivity Bundle webpage