and on the other side of the fence

http://www.nirave.co.uk/

Some of the key features of the N900 are listed below.

* 800 x 480 pixels 3.5″ resistive touchscreen
* Maemo 5 Open-Sourced Operating System
* 1GB RAM (256mb + 768 virtual “swappable” RAM)
* 32gb internal memory (expandable to 48gb with a 16gb MicroSD memory card)
* HSDPA, HSUPA, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, InfraRed (woooot? You can apparently control tv boxes and sets with the infrared port), USB
* 5mp camera with autofocus, Dual LED flash – video recording WVGA (848×480 pixels)@25fps
* Accelerometer, FM transmitter
* Internal GPS with A-GPS support

I thought today I’d go down to the Nokia Flagship Store in Regent Street and check out the device for real.

My first impressions: the device looks alright but it is a finger-print magnet. I’m not happy about the position of the keyboard in regards to the slide as it is very very difficult to type on the top row of the keyboard without hitting the bottom of the screen.

Furthermore, the screen just doesn’t seem polished enough and although I’m a mobile enthusiast and like exploring new technologies (i.e. Maemo 5), I can’t see myself forking out any money at all for this device.

That’s my rant over for now. Back to the store & the impressions of staff working there.

When you see the store you see this huge device in the window with a working screen (huge meaning about 100 times the size of the actual device) and it looks good but I can’t help but think that it doesn’t look as nice as the one they had for the N97.

There is only one working unit in the store and one female sales assistant seems to hover with it in her hands… She was very protective of the fact I might drop the device and damage it. When I was comparing it to the N97 she was like yeh it’s a wicked device (the N900) but she lacked any conviction in saying that and I asked her, are you going to buy one? She said erm well maybe and I could tell she didn’t really intend on it.

I asked about stock and she said oh it was meant to be in today, let me check if we have it. Firstly, with the massive device in the window and a Maemo Experience Lounge (where the Vertu shop was), I knew instantly she knew they didn’t have it in stock – if the did I’d have expected the Lounge to be open and customers to be allowed in and I’d expect more than one device.

She came back and said err no it appears to have been delayed; I said when will it be in stock? She didn’t know so she asked another guy and he said erm 7-10 days or so, most likely beginning to middle of next week (remember, there were reports of the N900 pre-orders being despatched today and it is meant to be available next week monday for all contract pre-orders!).

They offered me a contract as well.

Their contract deals are:

* 18 month contract
* 600 minutes
* Unlimited texts
* Unlimited internet
* £40 / month
* Vodafone
* Free phone

* 24 month contract
* Vodafone
* 600 minutes
* Unlimited texts
* Unlimited internet
* £35 / month
* Free phone

The store did however confirm that the device is available exclusively through them sim-free / on contract with Vodafone (T-mobile coming soon!) and through Mobile Phones Direct until January when Vodafone, T-Mobile & Orange should be receiving it in their stores. (We will be bringing you a N900 contract deals comparison post later on in the day so wait for it!)

All of these delays leads to big questions about Nokia’s ability to release devices on time. They were expecting the Maemo 5 device to become a niche market product and weren’t expecting as many people to be as interested as there are but they should still not be delaying the release of the device to fulfill potential demand… the more delays there are, the more likely that the “potential demand” will decrease.
now i'm dissheartened

The Following User Says Thank You to pwannell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Nokia 6150 all the way! Back to Nokia´s top dog of 1998!

Maybe soon I can party like it´s 1999....
No ****? My first phone ever
But in some way good to hear, more back-in-time-travellers ;D

Who else out there wants to join ? Previous phone and current phone :P!!!

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden, Stockholm
stay on topic please.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
if it doesn't ship by next week, i'm gonna cancel my pre-order and buy another phone! Any suggestions on what phone i should get???

this one: http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/u...pr55s2hc_b.jpg

I am going to forgo the N900 for it.

Originally Posted by Abemelek View Post
if it doesn't ship by next week, i'm gonna cancel my pre-order and buy another phone! Any suggestions on what phone i should get???
The HTC HD2.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by meyma View Post
They know that we want the phomputer anyway.
Phomputer. Now there is a word to take in the vocabulary

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Abemelek View Post
HTC touch pro 2, the keyboard should be very good.

Originally Posted by wheatbisc View Post
No ****? My first phone ever
But in some way good to hear, more back-in-time-travellers ;D

Who else out there wants to join ? Previous phone and current phone :P!!!
3510i - At least it has colour =/

http://gizmodo.com/5400593/htc-touch...view-a-tragedy hd2 dont have the best reviews exactly

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange