Active Topics

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
from that linked review:

"The Samsung Galaxy Note uses the standard TouchWiz music player, which is pretty good news as we cannot think of a feature that it lacks."

err, except for the ability to play an album's tracks in their original numerical order rather than alphabetically - or am I missing some obvious config option to enable that?! Seriously, I couldn't believe that in 2011 a stock media player didn't do that out of the box.

Can confirm though that piping the Note audio out (via HDMI in my case) to a decent AV Amp results in a slightly low input level but excellent quality reproduction.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
One thing that bugs me in Android so far is the inability to find and mount Windows/Samba shares on a LAN.

There are third-party utilities on the Market that claim to do this, but all the free ones I've tried only let you browse through the files on a share and *download* them to the device, not *open* them directly from the share (like playing a video).

This is with 2.2 and 2.3 on a 7" Galaxy Tab. Are more recent versions of Android (Gingerbread, ICS) and/or other devices (like the Note) any better ?
I have no network to test on, but you might try Total Commander from www.ghisler.com - install also the addons, one of which does Samba. This might perhaps work the way you described.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
so...

its time to say goodbye N900, welcome galaxy note.
my N900 goes to my wife, she will use it because its better an faster than her htc wildfire.

so she is happy, and i love my new NOTE.
forget the N900 - this device was very good, but for 3 years.

Ernesto, thanks for mentioning this -- as it is still in beta, and not on the Market yet, I would not have seen it otherwise.

Total Commander is not only free on Android, it also has the cleanest and fastest UI I've seen of all the "alternate" file managers out there (which tend to be flashy and not very practical :-).

Installation of plugins from within the app, and without restarting, is also impressive.

Understandably, the "LAN access" plugin is still rough around the edges and not documented, a look at the support forum is required to make it work.

However, it works just the same as all the other such apps : it will let you browse a network share, but if you want to look at a file you have to download it first...

At least now I know why : in the forum threads the author mentions that all such apps use the same java library (called 'jcifs', from samba.org) for network share access.

Probably this is a limitation of the library, or at least its Android version...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
from that linked review:

"The Samsung Galaxy Note uses the standard TouchWiz music player, which is pretty good news as we cannot think of a feature that it lacks."

err, except for the ability to play an album's tracks in their original numerical order rather than alphabetically - or am I missing some obvious config option to enable that?! Seriously, I couldn't believe that in 2011 a stock media player didn't do that out of the box.
in the interests of fairness I must admit that an OTA upgrade at the weekend to 2.3.6 fixed the stock player. Somewhat quicker than N900 which IIRC didn't fix replay order until PR1.2.

EDIT #1 - just realised that SGN stock player is still playing alphabetically if you play an album from the album view. However if you select an artist, then their album(s) are listed correctly in track order. Selecting the 1st track on an album in this view will then play all tracks in proper sequence. So, the issue is NOT fixed by the 2.3.6 upgrade, I just fooled myself into believing it was.

EDIT #2 - also I now remember that the N900 issue only affected .wma files, not .mp3's whereas the SGN is doing it on all types).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Last edited by Pigro; 2011-11-28 at 15:56.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Thats it! Jumping into this one. Note is on order. Any words of advice once it gets here? Cases? Screen protector or no? Saw the 2.3.6 upgrade, gotta go port my N900 contacts into Google... *evil*

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
gotta go port my N900 contacts into Google... *evil*

I'm using now a SGSII while I wait for my Galaxy Note, and I do not have any contact in google.

I sync them directly with my Mac using Bluetooth.

So, it's not necessary to have them on google.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by lsolano View Post
I'm using now a SGSII while I wait for my Galaxy Note, and I do not have any contact in google.

I sync them directly with my Mac using Bluetooth.

So, it's not necessary to have them on google.
Makes sense but I had my primary list of contacts on my N900, never set it up on any machine. So with moving over to a new system I should just have folks setup somewhere.

Overall I have to agree with the reviews in this thread.... the Note is just awesome. I love how huge it is, being a big guy 6'2"/220lbs the phone just looks slightly large if I hold it to my head for a call, but overall using the Nokia BH-214 solves all that. Doing server admin work via RDP is SOOO much easier than it was on the N900, the screen real estate is just WIN.

Just need to find a holster for the phone, come summertime I won't be able to just toss it into an inner coat pocket.

Hi, what do you think about Samsung Galaxy SIII

Not sure this is true...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWwbCBjXHE

Tags
android, galaxy note