Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What about posting in right (problem solution, could also maybe new?) thread?
Did you reboot?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

I wasn't sure if it was worth creating a new thread... I didn't want to reboot because I wanted to keep the uptime high! but I think I'd just go ahead and do it...

Code:
uptime
 14:55:37 up 104 days, 21:36,  load average: 0.26, 0.53, 0.28
Yesterday I could register and establish a data connection on 3G/HSPA, but could not register on 2G/GSM. I was unable to make or receive calls, or send or receive SMS and USSD did not work. Enabling and then disabling flight mode seemed to solve the problem.

Today I completely lost the cellular connection and my cellular data connection did not appear in 'Settings / Internet connection / Edit networks' and in 'Settings / Mobile network' I saw a SIM error.

I tried:
Code:
killall csd
which killed the csd process, but it did not restart automatically as it has done previously.

I then tried:
Code:
/sbin/start csd
and the csd process started and my N9 registered on the network again.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Getting long uptimes seems to be akin to practising movie stunts

Meanwhile on the server front.... 3 years coming up soon:

Code:
juice@laphroaig:~$ 
juice@laphroaig:~$ uptime
 10:59:07 up 1045 days, 19:30, 32 users,  load average: 4.99, 5.43, 5.94
juice@laphroaig:~$
Damn, we had a power outage in the lab yesterday, it was the first time for a number of years that we lost also the backup power from some racks. There goes my record uptime up as smoke in the air

Managed to reach up 1237 days and 11 hours.
(that's 3 years, 4 months and 22 days)

I'm claiming 140 days, even though my screenshot only says 139 days, 19 hours, 45 minutes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Estonia
Hi,

My longest uptime of N9 in heavy daily use has never been longer than a few days. There are two reasons for 95% of reboots:

Reason 1: battery running empty.

This is the known issue of suddenly dropping from 44% to 4% and mostly happens to me in two cases:

Case 1.1: driving with Waze+GPS+screen constantly on+active bluetooth connection to car audio. I'm also using a car charger CellularLine roller which does not have the "insufficient power" issue, but the net effect of charging and heavily using power at the same time is still that battery gets slightly emptier over time. So it has ran out while the charger is actually connected. This happens when battery was already near empty before. So i created a low battery profile in Profilematic that kills navi and music apps when battery becomes less than 10%.

Case 1.2: Longer training session (several hours of biking, running, adventure sports) with MeeRun+GPS+active bluetooth connection to HR belt. I'm thinking of buying an external battery pack for that, such as PowerMonkey Discovery. Does anyone have experience if that or some other particular model works or does not work with N9?

Reason 2: GPS hangs.

This happens to me about a couple of times a month or so, when i start any app that uses GPS. The GPS status indicator is blinking, app does not get GPS info, and the indicator remains blinking after that until i reboot. Toggling flight mode does not help. The Settings -> Device -> GPS and Positioning menu content also does not respond in this case. Does anyone know of some other trick or command-line command to recover from hanging GPS without reboot?

Sorry for long story and little off-topic..

Edit: yes Powermonkey seems to work with N9.

k6ps

Last edited by k6ps; 2014-03-25 at 09:04.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by k6ps View Post
Reason 2: GPS hangs.

This happens to me about a couple of times a month or so, when i start any app that uses GPS. The GPS status indicator is blinking, app does not get GPS info, and the indicator remains blinking after that until i reboot. Toggling flight mode does not help. The Settings -> Device -> GPS and Positioning menu content also does not respond in this case. Does anyone know of some other trick or command-line command to recover from hanging GPS without reboot?
Have you tried restarting nped? (killall nped as root)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Nowadays that my Jolla has taken most of the duties from the N9 (but not yet all of them!), and there is not much development/testing going on, I rarely need to reboot my N9 and so uptime is clocking up today at 202 days:

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Have you tried restarting nped? (killall nped as root)
No i haven't tried that one yet, will try next time this happens.

k6ps

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Guys how do you manage these uptimes? Do you use commands like killall etc? Or scripts?