Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
P.S. Please be considerent with people time and do not merge this to some thread with hundreds of posts. There are many people that don't have time to go through hundreds of posts for a simple answer.
Merging this thread with another thread that discusses exactly the same topic.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-02-17 at 06:23.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Posts discussing MeeGo in the N900 have been moved to the thread they belong to: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44615

Please stay on topic. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
I wonder if Meego strategy was being worked on for a while, based on a well defined roadmap, or it was that kind of top-down decision that even the Maemo Team on Nokia just got to adapt overnight...

Decisions without planning are nothing new within large companies... I hope that's not the case, but there is no way to know for sure by now.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
I wonder if Meego strategy was being worked on for a while, based on a well defined roadmap, or it was that kind of top-down decision that even the Maemo Team on Nokia just got to adapt overnight...

Decisions without planning are nothing new within large companies... I hope that's not the case, but there is no way to know for sure by now.
You can find the relevant joint press release from last June, but here's an excerpt from BGR. It should answer your question.

Originally Posted by BoyGenius Report 23.6.2009
Nokia and Intel announced a collaborative effort today that will empower the next generation of mobile devices — according to Nokia and Intel at least. Each company will brings its respective expertise to the table in an effort to develop devices that will combine Intel’s low-power mobile chipset architecture with Nokia’s wireless broadband connectivity technologies. The collaboration will focus on and accelerate development in several open source mobile Linux software projects, including Moblin and Maemo.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
You can find the relevant joint press release from last June, but here's an excerpt from BGR. It should answer your question.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that PR from last year. It seems then that Harmattan was designed from the begining based on Meego architecture. That would explain why a lot of bug & improvement requests for Maemo 5 were pushed to Harmattan.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
RPM based? For the love of Baud why? apt-get/aptitude and deb packages is so much cleaner. I spent years fighting with rpm based Red Hat and Mandriva. Please, don't make me go back to that hell.

Dropping the Debian parent distribution is bad enough but going to rpm packaging? Boooo...

I've been watching N900 prices since it finally hit store shelves but this latest news is seriously shattering my desire to drop 500+ on an N810 replacement. It smells too much like continuing to buy Palm devices beyond the T5 while the parent company runs the hardware and OS into the ground.

Will the N900 continue to get platform updates after Maemo5 or am I going to be buying a device just as third party development abandons the platform? (eg. no Maemo4 app updates now that Maemo5 is in full swing)

And what are the alternatives, a mobile platform that criminalize the device owner just by making it usable, a mobile platform that delivers a creepy harvesting of personal information, Windows7 phone edition.. I'm having serious flashbacks to Palm's abandoning software development then delivering a string of crap treo hardware rather than evolving the T5 hardware.

(Now I'll get down off my soap box and go find the applicable thread for OS and hardware specific platform.)

For now, I'll wait, and watch.. and see if the N900 reaches a reasonable price point while retaining a platform development path. Here's hoping Nokia doesn't Newton there tablet devices (The other PDA options out there suck right now).

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Just thought I should post in this thread so I can later claim to be a MeeGo "Expert" and maybe start a blog or suttin'.

Where do we line up for them blogger appreciation devices?

BTW, long live this partnership I hope to see Nokia/Meego embedded in my furniture and appliances in 2020.

Can we also now close all the Maemo 6 on the N900 threads?

Also, why the hell didn't "our man in the know", Eldar post about this months ago?
Because Eldar didn't, I suspect some will think this is not real.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Also, why the hell didn't "our man in the know", Eldar post about this months ago?
Because Eldar didn't, I suspect some will think this is not real.

Heh. Eldar seems to know about hardware stuff. Maybe he has less/little/no visibility into software stuff.

And... I'll trust the credibility of Quim over Eldar (when it comes to Nokia Maemo/Meego products) any day.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Can someone just tell them to re-run the naming schemes with the focus group again?

Are they REALLY ABSOLUTELY SURE that they wanna go with MeeGo for a whole line of premium products...??
MeeGoing to pass on a product that subliminally makes mewant to eat at mcdonalds and mebuy new clothes to fit meimage better.

Sigh.

And while that particular frivolous Moochism is superficial, the switch from apt to RPM... uh, ok.

I sometimes wonder if there's some sick sociological study behind the facade of this 5-step Maemo project to see how many directions people can be pointlessly wrenched before they yield, and how that yielding manifests itself.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-18 at 04:33.

Can we all stick on the branding topic here? If you have other topics in mind please contribute to the several ongoing threads or create a new one.

There is enough volume of discussion and mixing/overlapping threads won't help. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding