Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
qole, which kernel are you using? Default kernel has no v4l1 support (compat layer or otherwise enabled). I compiled kernel once with it enabled.

Yes, the camera is working as v4l. For flash, principally, but it should work for any other v4l programs. Port courtesy of tz1.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
First of all, I just wanted to say that it's great to see everyone's response here!

@smog: The WM itself is fairly responsive. Dragging windows results in tearing but the windows move quickly. XFCE isn't as light as fluxbox or icewm so there is a good amount of memory usage. I might try window maker later on. I'll add a note about switching WMs to the wiki, but it's pretty much just a matter of editing /home/user/.xsession and rebooting or logging in via ssh and restarting the x server and then starting the desktop environment of your choice as user.

@BoxOfSnoo: There should be, but I really don't use PIM. I tried Evolution and I think it mostly fit on the screen. Mem usage of it should be ~50MB IIRC. The vertical shortness is an issue sometimes. I highly recommend installing the kernel with rotation support. After that, the screen can be rotated by clicking the little star that you see in the upper left of the screenshots.

@Benson: That's pretty close to the default config, except I moved the bottom panel over to the left. Full screen in gtk/gnome apps is *usually* done with the F11 key...so it might be worth just binding the "fullscreen" key to F11 and being done with it. But then some apps use f or alt+f or ctrl+f . Your choice of course how you want your keys bound.

Also, great to hear about the camera! If someone gets a program working with it in debian tell me and I'll add to the first post and wiki.

-John

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
I'm downloading the rootfs now (I have my SD in the reader in my computer now, freshly formatted and waiting ).

Thanks, JohnX, for doing this!

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Actually, now that you mention it, are you able to run jpilot? Thanks.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
This looks pritty interesting! can you get Firefox working on this? befor i started booting maemo off of my memory card i uninstalled minfeld firefox and now no matter how many times i try installing it, it only installs the scaled-down version of firefox (fennec) and not minfeld wich is allmost full-blown firefox and fennec is barly useble!!!

p.s. Did eny of you have this problem? Can it be fixed????
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
BoxOfSnoo: I'll test it later today.

b-man: IceWeasel 3 (What Debian calls FireFox) isn't compiled for armel. I don't really know why. Maybe I'll take a crack at compiling it at some point.

BTW, I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you're having problems with minefield/fennec could you ask in a different thread? Thanks.

-John

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
BTW, I don't mean to be a jerk, but if you're having problems with minefield/fennec could you ask in a different thread? Thanks.

-John
I understand. Don't want to get off topic!
won't happen again!
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
I wanted to add my thanks to Johnx for making Debian available on the NIT. This is very nice.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Sorry for the dumb question but:

what is the user (or even the root) password? I looked in the wiki, and in the old instructions, but didn't see it. I can't edit /etc/interfaces as user...

Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind...sorry to bother you...

EDIT#2: 'rootme' doesn't seem to be working for me. Is it changed in the third release?

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Last edited by deeteroderdas; 2008-05-15 at 03:42.

Tags
debian, deblet