Notices

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
The only thing that works for me is to change the user agent, is there any downside to this except for the fact that I can't use the OVI-store before I reset the user agent in MicroB?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
-.-

But that means they recognize the N8x0, but not the N900?

(Surely there's some other reason.)

There are only differences in the two User Agent strings is:

N8x0:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv6l; en-US; rv:1.9a6pre) Gecko/20080828 Firefox/3.0a1 Tablet browser 0.3.7 RX-34+RX44+RX48_DIABLO_5.2010.16.1

N900:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux armv7l; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20091127 Firefox/3.5 Maemo Browser 1.5.6 RX-51 N900

1. Different version of the processor
2. I actually don't know this one. Hardware revision?
3. Gecko engine version
4. Firefox 3.0 vs. 3.5
5. Tablet browser vs. Maemo Browser
6. N800, N810, N810 WME, with Diablo vs. N900 with no stated OS.
Thanks for the information.

Tell you what, you inspired me to test a hypothesis: change the word 'Maemo' to 'Tablet', i.e.

Change the original User Agent from:
Firefox/3.5 Maemo Browser 1.7.4.8 RX-51 N900

To:
Firefox/3.5 Tablet Browser 1.7.4.8 RX-51 N900

Then type 'facebook.com' in MicroB and press ENTER.

Yeah! Full version of facebook!

Change back to Maemo:

Mobile version.....OoOPs.

Through a little test we can confirm that Facebook recognizes the word 'Tablet' in the User Agent!

Last edited by 9000; 2010-05-23 at 13:01.

Originally Posted by poka64 View Post
The only thing that works for me is to change the user agent, is there any downside to this except for the fact that I can't use the OVI-store before I reset the user agent in MicroB?
Go to Settings and then Hide User Agent, click 'Remove'. You should find the store you love now. ^^

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I think you just did the inverse. You showed that it recognizes the word Maemo and sends you to the mobile version.

The full site is the default so hence if IŽd write gobbeldigook, or other similar made up words, instead of Maemo or Tablet, IŽd also get the full site.
True it is, I removed the word 'Tablet' or 'Maemo' before the 'browser', facebook return full version as well.

However, it's even worse if facebook picked on the word 'Maemo'.

What has maemo community done that makes facebook discriminating the word 'maemo'? I wonder...

BTW, thank you for your reply. I just want to find a User Agent that can work with facebook and OVI store, but....

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I think you just did the inverse. You showed that it recognizes the word Maemo and sends you to the mobile version.

The full site is the default so hence if IŽd write gobbeldigook, or other similar made up words, instead of Maemo or Tablet, IŽd also get the full site.
So... would that mean the word "Maemo" triggers a redirect to Mobile? If so, then yes, it is a change on Facebook's side.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Go to Settings and then Hide User Agent, click 'Remove'. You should find the store you love now. ^^
yeah, I know how to reset the useragent

Up until recently I was using the lite.facebook.com site which worked very well with my n900, on whatever browser I used. I think they have removed that URL.

Now I am also being directed to the mobile version. Based on the User-Agent I guess..

pity.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Now that we know the cause, and how to circumvent it, now the issue falls on how to get Facebook's attention, and how to get them to change it.

Once we get their attention, it shouldn't take much persuasion, if they have any common sense...

I'm assuming those "Petition for [insert new feature here]" groups don't work, right?

And help threads only accommodate up to 12 (I believe) responses.

And... to be honest, I don't think we have enough people to gain attention via the Suggestions box...

So, how? List your ideas.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

I also submitted a bug report to FB.

V.

Originally Posted by salah99 View Post
we need a facebook application now!!
No we don't, the N900 had no problems rendering the normal Facebook site and that just needs to be restored - I much prefer not having to rely on an app when the phone doesn't need it.

I've submitted a bug on FB so that hopefully they'll take notice if enough people kick up a fuss, it should be a reasonably simple fix.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMcL7 For This Useful Post: