Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Could the next SSU contain a fix for bug 472: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472

I use Openntpd to resolve it but it would be a handy feature to haven delivered through the OS.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I tried an experiment: trying to install the community SSU update directly on an SD-based OS to which I boot using Penguinbait's Console-Tools. It was unable to update due to numerous "Application packages missing"

I'm supposing that the experiment failed (as I anticipated) because the community SSU can be installed only into the N8x0's own internal flash memory. Correct?

Will installing it on the internal flash memory impact my dual-booting? I'm supposing it won't; OTOH, to get it to my SD-card-based OS (which is my primary OS), I'd have to clone using the updated system, which would mean lots of re-building of what I've done on my SD-based OS since my SD-based OS and Apps is much more tweaked and developed than my flash-based system. Right?

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2010-08-27 at 17:51.

I have tried the Testing SSU and This new stable one and 2 different installs. On external SD, and Internal storage. Neither gave me any problem. Before saying install/ok to install, you should have a details and/or installing/problems tab in application manager. That might tell you what packages are missing, or at least give us a clue of the issue.

I don't think the problem is with booting on anything other than internal flash.

The Following User Says Thank You to cstryon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Success!!!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I'm using Nuvo Clear (sp?) theme.

Never once did I encounter this during the year or so using stock Diablo kernel.

It occurs after locking then unlocking the device.

Reboot brings it all back without even needing to recheck applets.

This bug seems almost impossible to fish for.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
cant say i have seen the error being described, tho i have seen some graphical issues (statusbar icons that come and go, osk that goes missing when a drop down list from say a addressbar covers it). But if its related to the community update or just general bit rot (i have yet to reflash since the update to diablo) i am unsure.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Installed last one (stable) upgrade.
Now mmc2 seems to be "Read-only filesystem". My /var/cache/apt and /var/lib/apt were moved to mmc2 and they worked perfect, but after upgrade apt-get update says that it can't work because of read-only filesystem.
Maybe I broke it, but I think it happened because of update. Now I moved apt dirs back and apt-get works.

For example:
Cannot change anything in /media/mmc2/var/cache/apt - Read-only file system
Cannot delete /media/mmc2/var/cache/apt - Read-only file system

Last edited by Kroll; 2010-08-28 at 01:09.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
For example:
Cannot change anything in /media/mmc2/var/cache/apt - Read-only file system
Cannot delete /media/mmc2/var/cache/apt - Read-only file system
Have you tried manually deleting the virtual memory file?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Could the next SSU contain a fix for bug 472: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=472

I use Openntpd to resolve it but it would be a handy feature to haven delivered through the OS.
I use openntpd too and find it invaluable, but I think it works fine as a package in extras rather than forcing it on everyone.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I'm using Nuvo Clear (sp?) theme.
Thanks, using version 4.0 from https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...elease_id=1971 but no crashes so far. Not sure if it's the right one, as the taskbar icons look like the stock ones while yours are very different. The font does look a bit smaller than the default, though not as small as in your previous screenshots.

Never once did I encounter this during the year or so using stock Diablo kernel.
I don't think it's the kernel, if there's anything in the community that triggers it I would suspect the X server (I'm still not 100% sure I guessed the build flags correctly on that one).

It occurs after locking then unlocking the device.
Is that device lock or screen lock? Does it also happen when the screen is re-activated after blanking? If so it sounds like an applet crashing and taking hildon-desktop down with it.

Reboot brings it all back without even needing to recheck applets.
Yeah, that's standard. As a defence mechanism, when hildon-desktop crashes it gets restarted without loading any third-party plugins (otherwise it could easily find itself in an endless restarting loop), but it doesn't modify its configuration so a reboot brings it back as set up by the user.

This bug seems almost impossible to fish for.
The usual way of tracking something like this down is disabling all desktop/statusbar/taskbar applets and re-enabling them one by one until the bug reappears.

But since we now have two reports, you can start by listing your applets. Chances are the trigger would be one common in both tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
diablo, maemo 4