Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
In Las Vegas, where the CTIA Wireless 2008 show is going on, Nokia officially announced its N810 Internet Tablet WiMAX Edition today at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

Because WiMAX signals extend 2-3 miles -- as compared to a few hundred feet for WiFi -- WiMAX networks enable broadband internet connections (2-4 Mbps, with peaks of up to 10 Mbps) for users on the move.

The device will be "available in the United States during the summer of 2008 in areas where WiMAX connectivity is available."

Nokia also announced an

upgraded OS2008 [that] introduces useful new features to the platform, including an enhanced e-mail client, support for Chinese character rendering in the browser and RSS feeds and Seamless Software Update functionality to eliminate manual software updates, making periodic updates of the operating system quick and easy. While standard on the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition, current owners of Nokia N810 and N800 Internet Tablets with earlier operating systems will be able to upgrade their device to the revised operating system for free during the second quarter of 2008.
(I'm not sure if this adds anything to what we already knew about the next OS release, but since Reggie is having all the fun in Las Vegas, I'm reduced to reading and re-reading the press release.)

Here's the obligatory statement of significance by an upper-level executive:

"By delivering the kind of open Internet experience that consumers previously only expected on a desktop PC, the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition is a compelling example of how next generation broadband wireless technology will not only change the way people think about the Internet, it will change the very nature of the Internet itself," said Ari Virtanen, Vice President of Convergence Products for Nokia.

"Much in the way that the evolution of the fixed Internet from dial-up to broadband enabled a host of new Internet services and changed people's expectations of what an Internet experience should be, the transition to a broadband Internet experience set free from the constraints of a fixed network will spark the next wave of new mobile Internet services, and will forever change the perception of what the Internet can be."
I think Ari means the walkaround web is a totally new experience and the new tablet will be the first to deliver it in this form. No argument there. (I guess if you're in one of those WiMAX locations, we're talking about the drive-around web, actually.)

Just so there's no confusion about this new tablet: When not in range of a WiMAX network, the Nokia N810 WE can also "access the Internet over Wi-Fi or via conventional cellular data networks by pairing to a compatible mobile phone via Bluetooth technology."

Nokia's press release ambiguously notes that "a number of VoIP and IM clients are available, including Skype, Google Talk, and Gizmo5, which can also take advantage of the Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition's built-in web cam for video calls." Whether this statement includes Skype among the VoIP clients that can make cam calls depends upon how you parse the sentence. Clarification is already being sought on this.
Read the full article.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Hooray, it's not just N810, but N810 WE! Naming issues are resolved

Woo-Hoo! This looks great!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Now where is wimax already available and where else will it be available??

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
And tomorrow I get mine for testing!

Hey, Texrat, is there anything you can tell us that wasn't in the press release?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Third Echelon View Post
Hey, Texrat, is there anything you can tell us that wasn't in the press release?
No, sorry...

still waiting for diablo and a fix for the touchscreen problems...

It's on the Nokia NSeries site now

http://www.nseries.com/index.html

Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Hooray, it's not just N810, but N810 WE! Naming issues are resolved
Please, it's been sighted in public, official (if somewhat premature) Nokia information as N810 WiMAX Edition; that's not new. The only one calling it "N810 WE" is Roger; that's not official, and the consensus (or at least strong majority opinion) is that the best shorthand is N810W. But Nokia's calling it by no such abbreviation.