Active Topics

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
My nephew and his wife were proudly showing off how their ipod touch supplied them with a new game to challenge them every single day. For a mere 60p. That works out at over £200/year!!! Talk about rip off! I was staggered that they considered this good value.
I'm with you regarding the thoughts on value for money but it does throw up a trend I have noticed with a lot of iPhone users (not all though). The iPhone does seem to appeal to the looks over function brigade so pitching the game as 60p a day means they don't think through that it is every day, they just see the 60p. If they were thinking long term they'd have to factor the battery replacement cost into account too when buying it!!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Fargus: You mean other phones don't need batteries?
The cost of ownership isn't just the price you pay to acquire the device, and to maintain it (battery, parts changes, accesories, etc) but you have to remember that you can also offset part of the cost when/if you decide to sell it off one day. On this point I think the iPhone wins, because they hold up their prices rather well.

As for '60p a day for a game': do they really buy one game per day?

I also think the general feedback is that iPhone games are lower priced than its competitors in the market (of same quality). IE: rhythm games cost $0.99 to $9.99 on iPhone while similar titles go for $20-30+ on Nintendo DS.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The cost of ownership isn't just the price you pay to acquire the device, and to maintain it (battery, parts changes, accesories, etc) but you have to remember that you can also offset part of the cost when/if you decide to sell it off one day. On this point I think the iPhone wins, because they hold up their prices rather well.

I also think the general feedback is that iPhone games are lower priced than its competitors in the market (of same quality). IE: rhythm games cost $0.99 to $9.99 on iPhone while similar titles go for $20-30+ on Nintendo DS.
Lots of devices require batteries but few of this price require you to send it back to the manufacturer to replace it. Hence my interest on what will happen when the EU ruling of user replaceable batteries comes into force.

The comment wasn't regarding the price of the game, it was regarding the rollup that is often missed. I'm also not aware of a way to sell on an iPhone game (taking your point) but you can simply with a DS game (or play it on another console). The majority of costs on that platform are hardware but agree your point on cost.

The statement regarding attitude is based on some expensive and indepth commercial research undertaken on behalf of a client.

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-11-10 at 07:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Has anyone with an N900 tried a miniclip game such as Bloxorz (known as Nintaii to some):
http://www.miniclip.com/games/bloxorz/en/

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

The contract is for one new game per day - so yes, they buy one daily. Heck, what sort of phone could you get for the extra £200?

(Ok, I admit I'm not much of gamer but even so, this bewildered me)

Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
We need games and applications with style, graphics and generally beyond our imagination. We need new ideas, new persons to work with n900 and maemo 5. I m disappointed to see only these apps and games. Its not good, I am afraid it happens because of the open OS

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The contract is for one new game per day - so yes, they buy one daily. Heck, what sort of phone could you get for the extra £200?

(Ok, I admit I'm not much of gamer but even so, this bewildered me)
Wow, they must be getting quite a lot of junks. I'd say the iphone gets one or two good games a week tops..
(EDIT: Well, ok, maybe a bit more than that if you consider all the different genres covered.. I'm just a bit more picky =P)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
My nephew and his wife were proudly showing off how their ipod touch supplied them with a new game to challenge them every single day. For a mere 60p. That works out at over £200/year!!! Talk about rip off! I was staggered that they considered this good value.
That is the beauty of microtransactions and why they are becoming quite popular in gaming these days.

Some companies even let you pay to unlock the items/whatever you would receive in game if you were to actually play the game!

The key selling point of the iPhone at the moment is their apps. I'm tired watching their 'there's an app for everything' advert on TV.

If we can get iPhone apps to work on N900 then iPhone is pretty much dead meat.

I happened to see iPhone apps in .deb file format. So does this mean we can put it on the N900 as well?

iPhone .deb applications onto N900?

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-14 at 16:53.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Looks like Flash games work on the N900, look at the other thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...bloxorz&page=2