Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ontario, Canada
I think you should make a comic strip out of this and send it to all the cell phone magazines.

Sadly we are the victims or hopefully Nokia realizes soon and saves us

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Nokia just gave their most avid fans an atomic wedgie AND shoved their heads down the toilet - and it's pretty amusing to see that some of them don't even take the time to dry their hair before they start chanting that this was a good wedgie and that in the long-term the toilet-shower is exactly what they had hoped for since day one.

I thought I had seen fanboys on apple forums but my hat off to you people - you just took the cake.

A urinal cake unfortunately. But still.

Originally Posted by EMAD View Post
You are right! It is personal! I bought the phone 1st) for my personal use and 2nd) to show off to these berryheadzz and icoolzz what Linux can do that their blackberries and iphones cannot do.
and it does great in both regards before 2/15 and after 2/15 right?

I don't care about Nokia's business / marketing decision for their future customers if they cannot keep their existing ones happy.
I agree that keeping existing customers happy is important, but that means different things to different people.

I spent a fortune on this phone whereas, I could have got an iphone 3gs for $200 over a 3-year term. But instead I purchased a phone that cost me four times more ($800) ...
You should have searched harder. It's easy to find it for less than $500 and you know the $200 is plus contract so in the end you end up paying way more for the iphone. But it's not like you didn't know that already...

But with the announcement of Meego, who cares about Maemo? Certainly, I don't care about maemo!
Look, if you want to go crazy and rant on and on that's fine... Personally I don't think it helps you or will it help alter the course necessarily.

I am just saying why would Nokia promote maemo like this if they were well aware that they were going to partner up. You can't tell me that Intel and Nokia got together on the night of Feb. 14th and said let's combine what we have. Obviously, Nokia knew this deal was going to take off.
Apparently you've never worked for large companies. Nothing is ever that simple, making the wrong partnerships can cost millions of dollars so while its not like they dreamt it up the night before its not like they sat on it just for fun so they can screw the community. Try not to go down the conspiracy theory route. It'll drive you crazy.

All I am saying is that Nokia better have a plan for the N900 customers whether it is a monetary incentive for upgrading to a new Meego device or changing the name AND FEATURES of Maemo 5 to call it Meego. Otherwise, I feel like I got ripped off big time!
Well monetary incentives aren't going to happen. That's just silly. The fact that you'd be ok if they just renamed Maemo 5 to Meego... I'm not sure what to say. I don't think that makes any sense to anyone.

At this point, I am really confused whether I should keep this piece of nice hardware that will eventually have no value because of its software content.
Maybe you should consider why a phone gets you so worked up, its just a phone and a darn good one even with its limitations.

If they don't end up where I want them to go I will still enjoy my N900 for what it does do today, quirks and all. While I may be wary the next time around, if they make a good product I'll get back on board. I'll give money to those who make the best device even if its someone that made mistakes (IMO) in the past.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dario1970 View Post
+1

Just because an OS outdated means few developers. Less software. Less future.
Not if the libraries used across the OS (new and old) are updated and kept the same. That then means apps can pretty much be brought back and forth across OS. Of course certain device specific features won't work (e.g. say if an app uses multi-touch).

If Nokia doesn't want to officially support MeeGo, fine. With the way they've been cutting features out of Maemo that I'm use to having I'm not so sure I would want whatever's next (there were talks about a DRM locked system). But they should be more active in the development of Mer as a replacement to the previous Maemo operating systems then.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ontario, Canada
It's not just renaming to Meego. Read carefully as I also stated the features!

And I am interested in selling the phone after a year of use. You are telling me someone out there will pay a high price for a Maemo device when meego devices are rolled out with soooo much hype.

I think I will be lucky if I get a $100.

Before commenting on what I said, you should realize that I didn't buy the phone today when it is being sold for $499. I bought it right when it came out.

Point is that I thought this phone would be like the iphone and blackberries where you can use it for a year and still make enough money by selling it next year. Maybe I didn't do my research... but I think Nokia should have thought about something more than just selling the device.

Comeon, when you buy something that is as cool as the N900, you want the device to remain cool for sometime. I mean right now in my circle, there is nobody that owns an N900 and I don't think I will buy it... I will be a loaner with a N900 looking towards all the coolios with the iphone.

So tell me who will buy my maemo phone next year for more than $200? Yet, the old iphone 3G still sells for more than $250 and that's a bargain price!

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
and it does great in both regards before 2/15 and after 2/15 right?

I agree that keeping existing customers happy is important, but that means different things to different people.

You should have searched harder. It's easy to find it for less than $500 and you know the $200 is plus contract so in the end you end up paying way more for the iphone. But it's not like you didn't know that already...

Look, if you want to go crazy and rant on and on that's fine... Personally I don't think it helps you or will it help alter the course necessarily.

Apparently you've never worked for large companies. Nothing is ever that simple, making the wrong partnerships can cost millions of dollars so while its not like they dreamt it up the night before its not like they sat on it just for fun so they can screw the community. Try not to go down the conspiracy theory route. It'll drive you crazy.

Well monetary incentives aren't going to happen. That's just silly. The fact that you'd be ok if they just renamed Maemo 5 to Meego... I'm not sure what to say. I don't think that makes any sense to anyone.

Maybe you should consider why a phone gets you so worked up, its just a phone and a darn good one even with its limitations.

If they don't end up where I want them to go I will still enjoy my N900 for what it does do today, quirks and all. While I may be wary the next time around, if they make a good product I'll get back on board. I'll give money to those who make the best device even if its someone that made mistakes (IMO) in the past.

I'm crying but I'm thinking to sell it now before it's too late.

All the hoola about meego or meega or whatever and it has been a day since it was announced. Nokia PR is crap, they need to be seriously kicked out or they will drag the entire company down with their incompetence.

They will release this meega thingie after 6 months and it will be crap of bugs. Fix it for another 6 months and by the time they start figuring out how to properly marry it with a capable phone a year and half will have rolled by. At that point, you will want another new gadget. It's a never ending quest for the best if you can afford it.

The phone does most of the good stuff we generally are looking for and it's an enthusiasts device. If that is true, you would have found the apps and made this work for you.

I am more seriously worried about the hardware issues (usb port) holding out for a reasonable time. If you just want a phone that works extremely well out of the box, you need an iphone/blackberry or a nexus. Do not waste your money on N900.

Stop speculation and spreading rumors. Enjoy and have fun with what you have right now. If you can return your device, pick up the phone RIGHT NOW and do not whine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
i said it before and i will say it again.... Maemo 5 was my first encounter with the nokia tablets and has been the most interesting and powerful experience i ever had with a mobile device.
i am angry about the announcement because i feel like my n900 will now be left behind after owning it for less than a month. i feel like the n900 is having a premature eol. As stated ealier about m6/meego multitouch.... You need a capacitative screen for that and for a power user and a tablet like n900... capacitative is unacceptable. the loss of accuracy and stylus is a nightmare.

meh...if the apps work on my phone I couldnt really care less what OS I'm using to be honest. More apps suits me just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Le_Petit_Lapin For This Useful Post:
whats special about meego? maemo sounds a billion times more cooler than 'meego'

Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
All the hoola about meego or meega or whatever and it has been a day since it was announced. Nokia PR is crap, they need to be seriously kicked out or they will drag the entire company down with their incompetence.

They will release this meega thingie after 6 months and it will be crap of bugs. Fix it for another 6 months and by the time they start figuring out how to properly marry it with a capable phone a year and half will have rolled by. At that point, you will want another new gadget. It's a never ending quest for the best if you can afford it.

The phone does most of the good stuff we generally are looking for and it's an enthusiasts device. If that is true, you would have found the apps and made this work for you.

I am more seriously worried about the hardware issues (usb port) holding out for a reasonable time. If you just want a phone that works extremely well out of the box, you need an iphone/blackberry or a nexus. Do not waste your money on N900.

Stop speculation and spreading rumors. Enjoy and have fun with what you have right now. If you can return your device, pick up the phone RIGHT NOW and do not whine.
I agree with the above. I bought this device because it is the nearest realization of a computer in my pocket that makes calls (in the end, whomever is able to put windows 7/whatever in a device this size wins).

I expected upon purchase that this device would be replaced in a year by the next computer-in-my-pocket device, and I expected it would run Maemo.

At this point, about a month in, I am so in love with this device and its current capabilities, I'm almost leary of change (look at Windows Phone Series 7, which while refined seems very restrictive, Apple lke). I can easily see a MeeGo future that while newer, is also much more restrictive.

Personally, I haven't gotten this much enjoyment out of a device since the N95-1. I feel it is pretty damned iconic, as is.

Onwards and upwards with MeeGo and all, but there'll have to be a real leap (not evolution) for me to ditch this clean, sturdy little beast, with its clean minimalist-yet-customizable OS.

Fake edit: The USB issues being so widely reported scare the **** out of me.

Cheers,
Phono

The Following User Says Thank You to PhonoN900 For This Useful Post:

Tags
just a bunch of