Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
I seem to have sorted out my dropped frames, bought a 4 gb class 6 microsd card and use that to save video. I guess it is due to file fragmentation with the onboard memory.

[...]
Reformatting my class 2 card already helped. But it is not completely smooth. You don't have any dropped frames left?

I read somewhere that reducing the cluster size to 8 or even 4 would also help (for a different phone, but I believe the poster said it wasn't phone-specific).
I couldn't find out how to do that though.

The next question is how long it will stay smooth, I am not looking forward to reformatting or defragmenting on a regular basis....

Not seeing any so far, will report back after trying it out some more.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
video frame drop less if you use the eMMC instead of memory card, mine a class 6 but still laggy and skippy when recording. HELL! the n900 doesn't even have pause! so the best thing is to keep wasting precious Gigs of memory while recording without pausing it.

Camera SEEMS a little blurred and did not focus properly at times. This would be great if Nokia make the N900 autofocusing live while recording!!!

I bought a small card (4 gigs) and only use it for video, I make sure to copy any vid I want onto my pc and format the card each day. Doing it this way gives me best results. Storing to the internal memory gives me alot of frame drops due to the amount of movies/mp3s I have on there, it is probably very fragmented.

I had real issues with dropping frames and jitter when moving camera im currently using titan kernel but i think i had the issue with stock kernel too.. anyways i seem to have found a working solution at least for me. with a program called cpufrequi its possible to set the way cpu scaling behaves . befor i record a video i swith from on demand to userspace . and now the recording seems much much smoother hope this helps u guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to ixxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I have a Queen Beecon button for 1GHZ that really helps. The best solution so far, still it is bit sad that iPhone does better with same A8...

i dont think itss all about cpu power sense i only run it at 700mhz. at 900mhz ondemand setting i get the same frame dropping as 600mhz.

The Following User Says Thank You to ixxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg GERMANY
The frame dropping really sucks and has to be solved, soon.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
1st thing to do to reduce frame dropping is to use internal memory and not the mmc ( as said lots of times before ) .
2nd is to reduce / terminate running apps in backround
3rd try oc , i know its not a good option , when u buy a device u expect it to function well .

i run mine at 500-850 and recorded a video for testing driving from work to home , the quality is very good ( for a mobile device ) , and i had no frame dropings in 19 mins of video , the file was round 450 mb .

The Following User Says Thank You to on3st4b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by on3st4b View Post
1st thing to do to reduce frame dropping is to use internal memory and not the mmc ( as said lots of times before ) .
2nd is to reduce / terminate running apps in backround
3rd try oc , i know its not a good option , when u buy a device u expect it to function well .

i run mine at 500-850 and recorded a video for testing driving from work to home , the quality is very good ( for a mobile device ) , and i had no frame dropings in 19 mins of video , the file was round 450 mb .
This seems to be the answer - doing this combined with closing apps like web and email made video recording glitches virtually disappear for me. Maybe a few spots at the star of the recording, but then smooth sailing.

For those who like to use the Desktop Command Execution Widget, here is a script to toggle from power-save ondemand to performance ondemand, it displays the current minimum speed:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
my $lower = "125"; # this value is optimal for powersaving in ondemand mode.
my $upper = "805"; # this value is the highest in MHz at any time.

# set the maximum ondemand level to the desired high performance level
my $cmd = "echo ".$upper."000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq";
system $cmd;

# toggle the high performance mode or normal mode
my $freq = `cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq`;
chomp $freq;
if ($freq !~ /^$upper/) {
        $freq = $upper;
} else {
        $freq = $lower;
}
my $cmd = "echo ".$freq."000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq";
system $cmd;
print "$freq\n";