Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Hey,

for a while now we (as in HiFo + MCe.V. + Council + other community members, reading we as "not one only") are discussing coding competition possibilities.

We are looking forward to Categories for Neo900, N9 and Jolla (maybe N900 to at some point).

For this we need your help, we need ideas for A subcategories and B prizes/donations/sponsors.

For prizes I was hoping for the community to donate their unused devices to HiFo/Maemo Community e.V. (I or we thought it might be a good idea to have the legal entities take care of such stuff as this way no device or donated funds will get through private hands at any point) to put them up as devel loaner or as direct prizes (that is up to the donator). I know from some community members that they were looking into donating devices to (random) people in need for one. With the competition, only developers actually doing something would get devices.

What are your ideas for subcategories and what do you think about the donating/funding/sponsoring by community members?

Regards
chem|st

Disclaimer: Neither HiFo nor MCe.V. (this includes MCCouncil) will pick winners at any point. Jury is going to be the community if not stated otherwise (there might be companies involved in the future whom might choose to have another audience for their category, we never know and cannot dictate it).

Last edited by chemist; 2014-06-17 at 10:44.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
well - what I want most is to completely free N9xx from all Nokia propriatary code, update kernel to 3.x series probably target #1.

But, most important, whichever is decided, I will as said in other threads, donate two devices:

1 N9
1 N900

For committment and distribution. This is now in the good hands of HiFo/Maemo Community e.V.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
you're aware that coding competitions are (despite Nieldk insinuating otherwise above) a council domain, and recent council is more than just at end of its term? Who's going to follow up on this competition thing in 2 weeks when extended nomination period ended?

/j (leaving councilor)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-13 at 15:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
It's great to see another coding competition on the way! For category ideas have a look at the previous ones and you won't be too far away

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
you're aware that coding competitions are (despite Nieldk insinuating otherwise above) a council domain, and recent council is more than just at end of its term? Who's going to follow up on this competition thing in 2 weeks when extended nomination period ended?

/j (leaving councilor)
It's a good point, though I'd submit that the original coding competition was basically ran without council and could be again. For the follow up competitions, council's help was huge in terms of organizing voting and liaising with Nokia etc, and very appreciated, but in the first it was zehjotkah and myself setting up voting threads and looking after donations, working directly with Nokia just as a couple of basic members. And the community all pitched in with their ideas and support in all kinds of ways to help it cross the finish line.

So right - stable council would be great to run the competition, but there's no need to panic if council isn't sorted out - never underestimate the will power and determination of maemo.org community members to work together for a good cause and see things out

(joerg - not that you are underestimating, just saying in reply.. )

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2014-06-13 at 16:12.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
@kojacker:
sure, you're absolutely right and of course any random group of people is allowed to start a coding competition. Nothing wrong with that. Just from chem|st's OP it sounded like he referred to http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council#Council_work council domain of duties, and later on that turned somehow into sth like HiFo was the responsible entity. I just felt like sorting this out a bit.
The question stands: who is finally in charge to run this coding competition? It cna't be council obviously since current council is a lame duck.

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-17 at 11:08. Reason: moot sine chem|st's edit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
whatever

I dont care how or by whom this is initiated. But if someone WANTS to prevent this from happening, well spit your juices.
There is to my knowledge anything that can prevent HiFo, council or vasic members from starting a competition individually. So, my offer stands! Even if I end up deciding "winners" myself,

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
creating a seperate commite for this coding competion can be way to go the commite can collect devices funds ideas working directly with community decisions .

just throwing some ideas

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
whatever

I dont care how or by whom this is initiated. But if someone WANTS to prevent this from happening, well spit your juices.
There is to my knowledge anything that can prevent HiFo, council or vasic members from starting a competition individually. So, my offer stands! Even if I end up deciding "winners" myself,
Who do you see around who wants to prevent such coding competition?
I just asked who the heck will follow up and actually make it happen - since I'm interested it will not die halfway through from nobody feeling responsible.

you know, just like "SOMEBODY should clean up this room..." <everybody turns around and leaves, whistling>
Seen this at least for last 24 months in maemo, but actually during my whole life: assign a task to somebody, or it won't get done.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-06-13 at 16:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
@Dave999 no, Iam saying I will follow whichever declared competition here.
IF {that fails to happen; Make my own decision: Follow another competition} ;

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
From the looks of it, NielDK, juiceme and myself will have a hand in this. It does not matter if we are council or not, we are part of this community and also in positions where we can officially support a competition by whomever initiated. I started it and will be with it to the end, I brought that topic up several times in the last year but noone seemed to be interested much from the people "in charge" so who should start a competition if no council no board is doing something to start it? Yes a bunch of community members - as happen to be I brought the idea to nieldk's attention and he liked the idea and offered a second device right away. As a matter of fact the 3 people mentioned are the current Board Elected of the ready to be registered at court Maemo Community e.V.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post: