Hi there everyone, and thanks in advance to any replies..

I just joined today because I have a unique issue (I think) with a Nokia n950 that was gifted to me by a mate of mine who no longer has use for it.

I have an "up to date" android phone with a micro-sim card, and purchased an adapter from T-Mobile to use with the n950 - I placed it inside the device and it wouldn't read the sim.... When i went to take it out, the adapter shot out my micro-sim, but the adapter itself got stuck on the pins of the Sim-card reader on the n950...When I finally got the adapter out, the teeth from the Sim tray came along with it -- ALL 6 of them broke off, and i'm really upset.

Has anyone here ever taken an n950 apart and resoldered on a new sim card tray from another nokia model phone? Is it possible to fix, or did I just ruin a very rare, cool device?

The device itself still works, but I tried another friends regular sized sim card in the slot, and the phone does not read it.

I appreciate any helpful responses.

The Following User Says Thank You to robotrock For This Useful Post:
Rofl. You just destroyed an extremely rare device.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your constructive input

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robotrock For This Useful Post:
I am sorry. I will be less of a **** next time.

Your best hope is to find a BOM for the N950 and see if you can find a replacement SIM connector. Then either pay someone or DIY it onto the PCB.

Alternatively you could sell the LCD display panel. Lots of people have broken LCDs and there are no replacement parts in existence.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I am sorry. I will be less of a **** next time.

Your best hope is to find a BOM for the N950 and see if you can find a replacement SIM connector. Then either pay someone or DIY it onto the PCB.

Alternatively you could sell the LCD display panel. Lots of people have broken LCDs and there are no replacement parts in existence.
Thank you for the apology, It's okay, I am just really upset about it. I acted too quickly when removing the sim and am beating myself up over it.

Can you clarify what "BOM" is? I have experience soldering tiny electronics so thats not an issue - my real concern is finding the exact same sim card slot - I'm wondering if I couldn't just purchase a sim slot replacement for the Nokia N8 (which looks quite the same) and use that on the board - but I dont know if this will work?

The Following User Says Thank You to robotrock For This Useful Post:
It most likely is a very bad situation. Most phones have the SIM-card reader soldered on the main board, the n950 most likely does too. So it isn't a part that can be easily swapped.

I destroyed a Samsung phone in a similar way, and damaged a Nokia C7 (but in that case I could bend it back, it didn't break.)

In some phones you can solder on/off the individual pins relatively easily, in others they aren't accessible. It really depends on SIM holder in the N950. And since it is such a rare device, few people will will have experience doing it on that specific device.

An example from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayJ9V5sahQ

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
It most likely is a very bad situation. Most phones have the SIM-card reader soldered on the main board, the n950 most likely does too. So it isn't a part that can be easily swapped.

I destroyed a Samsung phone in a similar way, and damaged a Nokia C7 (but in that case I could bend it back, it didn't break.)

In some phones you can solder on/off the individual pins relatively easily, in others they aren't accessible. It really depends on SIM holder in the N950. And since it is such a rare device, few people will will have experience doing it on that specific device.

An example from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayJ9V5sahQ
I've already opened up the n950 - I might post pictures once I get home from work to see if anyone can support my hypothesis that the sim reader can be replaced with one from a similar nokia phone model.... I saw that video and unfortunately, the n950's sim reader is not like the one in the video

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robotrock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by robotrock View Post
I've already opened up the n950 - I might post pictures once I get home from work to see if anyone can support my hypothesis that the sim reader can be replaced with one from a similar nokia phone model.... I saw that video and unfortunately, the n950's sim reader is not like the one in the video
Quick reply...

Robotrock, I also had broken teeth (three out of six) in SIM slot.

I have, in the end, torn the whole SIM slot-holder away (with a tiny screwdriver), leaving just the PCB board with solder-points for a new SIM holder.

After some Internet search, I found on EBay exactly same SIM holder (it's written that it is for Nokia N8 or Nokia C7, but still, it's rare to see something exactly same as in N950), but it comes with flex cable. I am planning to detach flex cable from it (it's said that flex cable can be easily detached from the SIM holder), and then to solder the SIM holder to N950's board.

Point is: do you want to do something similar yourself? Here is the SIM holder. It would require only soldering iron, and some tool to remove the old-holder from the board.

Best wishes.

Tags
nokia n950, sim slot