Notices

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for what you do to your device. Miss handling of this software could cause damage to your device leading to a reflash.

I've decided to create a port of netbeans out of curiousity of how well it would perfom on the N900 now that Icedtea6 has recently become avalible on the platform, and here are the results;

Known Issues:
  • Startup is quite slow, especially on first-time startup. (Perhaps we can fix this by striping out unnessasary plugins/components?)
  • When creating C/C++ projects, netbeans complains about missing gcc (Pretty harmless, but sometimes annoying.)
  • Alt+Sym doesn't want to bring up the extra character popup menu(This is most likely because netbeans is trying to use it's own shotrtcut system that is independent of maemo's shortcut system.)

* Everything else seems to be working ok - although i haven't tested everything.

Even though the startup process is slow, once everything is up and running the UI is pretty responsive - i even get only 5-9% cpu usage at times while using it!

How to Install:

NOTE: installing this will take up 337.9mb of space in /opt, and about 463kb in the rootfs.

First, download the deb package to your MyDocs folder from here.

Next, Install the package with the following commands as root; make sure you installed Icedtea6 before following this procedure. (note: also make sure you have rootsh installed to gain root access)

Code:
cd ~/MyDocs
dpkg -i netbeans-6.0_6.0.1+dfsg-3_all.deb
Last, launch netbeans and wait (first-time startup is REALLY SLOW due to caching and configuring - up to 2 minutes!)

Also, for some strange reason the first-time-startup optional registration window is quite unresponsive; but don't worrie - click the skip registration button a few times and it will go away.

Have fun!
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Mexico, Monterrey.
Thank you very much man!!!! I won't have to take my laptop to school anymore, lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to mothmanex For This Useful Post:
it's really cool man! is it also suitable for php projects ???

The Following User Says Thank You to sonaba For This Useful Post:
I installed, but dont see any icon to run. Command "netbeans" in x-term also dont work. How can I run it please? Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Honza. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Mexico
ive installed it, but no succes in runing it. I type netbeans on the terminal, it launches the splash screen but then throws an error. How do i unistall it?

The Following User Says Thank You to sla_erick For This Useful Post:
I noticed this, so I wanted to try it, so i downloaded netbeans for Linux(.sh) on netbeans.org and used this:
Code:
chmod +x netbeans-6.9.1-ml-javase-linux.sh
sh netbeans-6.9.1-ml-javase-linux.sh
I installed it into /media/mmc1/netbeans-6.9.1 without problems.
When I want to run it:
Code:
sh netbeans-6.9.1/bin/netbeans
You can try it too

Last edited by Honza.; 2010-10-24 at 20:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Honza. For This Useful Post:
NICE!!! Thanks a lot.......now what about porting QT Creator ? Thats not possible right? Also even if it was resolution is too low for the various windows qt creator has .

Last edited by BLIZZARD; 2010-10-24 at 20:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to BLIZZARD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BLIZZARD View Post
NICE!!! Thanks a lot.......now what about porting QT Creator ? Thats not possible right? Also even if it was resolution is too low for the various windows qt creator has .
you can install qtcreator , qtdesigner from debian repository on easy debian , just enable sid repository in synaptic package manager , update packages , and install !
I did this , works fine , download size is quite large , but it works..
using qtdesigner on the n900 is not practical all but you are fine using qtcreator though compiling anything takes a large amount of time.
u can run compiled packages from maemo easily without easy debian..
cd to where your project is , ./binary name

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mothmanex View Post
Thank you very much man!!!! I won't have to take my laptop to school anymore, lol.
Where i can download it pls tell... the above is not working........

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenSand For This Useful Post:

Tags
icedtea6, java6, netbeans