Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I feel like I'm walking at an abandoned place, or a graveyard when I'm visiting tmo...

I wonder how many would ever come back and visit this (almost) abandoned place

Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Why did you abandon this place? We have not.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I feel like I'm walking at an abandoned place, or a graveyard when I'm visiting tmo...

I wonder how many would ever come back and visit this (almost) abandoned place

Well, literally everything this forum was about died long ago or became as obsolete as it gets. So it’s not “like” a graveyard, it IS a graveyard.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Unfortunately, yes. I think there's not much more to discuss here, and certainly not about old Nokia stuff. But it's in any case good to look every now and then, in case something interesting pops up

Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I hope this forum get's a fresh start when Leste becomes usable as a main Os. There would be a lot of stuff to port to Leste. Old fremantle stuff could be archived, fresh layout with how tos, wikipage, installable software, up to date instructions for N9, Sailfish stuff organized for people still post new stuff here.

I still hope that when Leste will be ready there could be done a news post to every email address there is for old members, online conference about Leste and maybe irc gatherings and link posted on the forum.

I don't think this is a graveyard. Just on hold a bit.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

I always admired your optimism Maemish, but personally I don’t think it will ever happen.
Not only because people and technology move on, but also because I don’t see Leste ever being ready, usable, or at least somehow-usable in this decade or ever.
And even if it does, what purpose will it serve in 2030? Everything will be even more outdated.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Yes many people left maemo.org on the one hand because the Web 2.0 has eaten many smaller communities. I know quite a few forum with interesting people and discussions which have dissolved into sites like reddit. On the other hand the hardware is ancient by today's standard. Nobody looks anymore at an Android phone from 2012. Even the customs roms for the most well known ones have not seen any development for years.

But this place is special in so many ways. Here you can still find support by some dedicated people with expert knowledge on the devices. You can see people dust of old hardware and show amazing things that could be done with such limited power and occasionally you even see somebody new coming here, asking "Hey I am interested in those times, tell me more! Show me!"

For me it is no graveyard, it is a museum and a grand one! Halls filled to the brims with knowledge and practical exhibitions you can try yourself, archives so vast you can never hope to comb trough everything within them, and still, every time you do you find something interesting. A story or even something deeper which improves you understanding of technicalities.

Maemo.org is awesome!

I do not write here often because I always preferred to look trough archives undisturbed first, but I still use the hardware occasionally and am astonished at how well it still works and about the tricks which allow it to work in today's changed environment. And I am even more amazed a dedicated people like those working on Maemo Leste who still work to expand the place.