Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by petur View Post
supl.vodafone.com also worked via wifi, ISP = telenet.be

To test, I've hacked one of the old update scripts to only use ACWP and only print results, not try to update latitude or whatever... - script attached.

so, in short:
supl.google.com + wifi or 2G: mode 1 location, center of country
supl.vodafone.com + wifi or 2G: mode 2 location, accuracy 188m
Thanks for script. I believe your evidence is unequivocal. But why it works is another thing (I wonder if using a tor proxy with exit nodes can be used to test country effect?). And you confirm that supl.google is a goner.
So, it would be inteesting for others to test with petur's script after a reboot. what supl works and where are you?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
supl.vodafone.com also worked via wifi, ISP = telenet.be

so, in short:
Yep, confirmed from my previous tests using test-location AFTER
gconftool --recursive-unset /system/nokia/location
AND a
reboot
and reconfiguring supl server in settings (sorry for delay, had to sort some other things out).

Funny is:
it works with WiFi and vodafone network 2G/3G, but NOT with O2-de GPRS/UMTS. So it is proven (google dead, vodafone works for some ...)

Learned some things, though: clearing the location stored in system.nokia.location does not clear the caching, only a reboot helped.
Yep. ONLY after above procedure (both clearing and reboot) you will get reliable results (or using petur's py)!

To test, I've hacked one of the old update scripts to only use ACWP and only print results, not try to update latitude or whatever... - script attached.
Did not know about these script(s). Mind telling us the source?

Nevertheless, now we have one supl server left delivering location cell tower based position.
Better than nothing, but it is not real assisted GPS. And we do not know the reason for nokia/google failing yet

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands

so, in short:
Same here in the Netherlands. With supl.google.com I get the location of the city of Baarn, which is indeed in the center of the country. And supl.vodafone.com provides me accurate info.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Did not know about these script(s). Mind telling us the source?
There's a Google Latitude thread somewhere on the forum here (*) that contains several iterations of the script, the hard part for them was to get Google Latitude to update (and it doesn't work anymore), but the location part was pretty good, I just changed the method from AGNSS to ACWP to make it NOT use GPS.

This helped too:
http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo/Using_Location_API

(*) http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38542

(edited to add URL of relevant forum topic)

Last edited by petur; 2013-08-18 at 10:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Funny is:
it works with WiFi and vodafone network 2G/3G, but NOT with O2-de GPRS/UMTS. So it is proven (google dead, vodafone works for some ...)
After using gconftool and rebooting I can confirm that vodafone does not work with either Tele2 or Tre(3) Sweden.

I guess from other info in peterleinchen's post that agreements between ISPs or lack thereof, are playing a role here. Something else in the case of google...

Is info from syslog why you don't think supl.vodafone is providing a full supl service?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Is info from syslog why you don't think supl.vodafone is providing a full supl service?
Nope, just a simple implication from test-location-gui providing cell based location (acwp), but not returning data for agnss.

Maybe I should enable syslog again and try once more? But I do not expect to see anything more ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
For me supl.google.com started working again via 3G/T-mobile germany, the last days i never got gps-fix, today in the car 150km from home i started nokia maps and got the fix in some seconds (maybe just luck?)

The Following User Says Thank You to Russe89 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
I can confirm that supl.vodafone.com work with Telkomsel carrier in Indonesia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sLumPia For This Useful Post:
Nope, just a simple implication from test-location-gui providing cell based location (acwp), but not returning data for agnss.
I have wondered what that info would be: the exchanges between n900 and the supl server? As I assume u don't mean the gps coords that do eventually pitch up

Very peculiar that a supl server provides acwp but not 'full-house'.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
same thing here with supl.google.com - started working again about 2 weeks ago via 3G (malaysia, on Maxis). it used to take about anywhere from 1 minute upwards to get a lock. i now get one in about 10 seconds max (actually, it used to be much faster like 3-5 seconds, but 10 seconds is fine by me).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:

Tags
a-gps, nokia n900