Looks like the symbian folks are getting a fresh update to ovi maps? Whats good for us Maemo folks?

Originally Posted by kev187 View Post
Looks like the symbian folks are getting a fresh update to ovi maps? Whats good for us Maemo folks?
I guess we get our share of complaint threads here

Well, summer is over and the trainees who made the original Maps version for N900 are long gone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myrjola For This Useful Post:
(sigh) Oh well, one could only hope :-)

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
It'll be out for MeeGo too, since Nokia is using Qt.
Come to think of it, Actually, it should work for the N900 too

This is a tablet, not a phone. Only Nokia PHONES get Ovi maps!

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
It will be fun laughing with you guys when the new maps for n900 comes out, just wait and see :P

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
It'll be out for MeeGo too, since Nokia is using Qt.
Come to think of it, Actually, it should work for the N900 too
You do know what Qt is sir?

While the QT parts are very probably a simple copy and paste with a few tweaks for screen resolution and orientation, the underlying code that drives it all, not so much. Symbian to Maemo, entirely different beast, it's not just a scratchbox recompile, it's a significant rewrite.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
You do know what Qt is sir?

While the QT parts are very probably a simple copy and paste with a few tweaks for screen resolution and orientation, the underlying code that drives it all, not so much. Symbian to Maemo, entirely different beast, it's not just a scratchbox recompile, it's a significant rewrite.
You don't know Qt either obviously. If the new maps app is built using Qt. It will be able to be cross compiled for maemo/symbian/meego WITHOUT the need for new code to be written. The only changes in code will be for screen resolution ect.

Its whole design purpose was so that developers could write the program once and then release it across multiple platforms! Nokia probably want to try and get as many platforms as they can into Qt such as Android and WinMo at some point!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
godofwar424, I think essentially dchky was saying the same as you.... he's saying symbian -> maemo is a rewrite, BUT with QT in the middle, it's much more cross platform compatible.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Qt or not, only Nokia is able to do the compilation.

And currently it looks like Nokia does not even remember that it has ever manufactured thing called N900. All resources are elsewhere.

I'm quite pessimistic of having Maps on N900 at same level as other Nokia phones. Hopefully I'm wrong..

The Following User Says Thank You to oneFinn For This Useful Post: