Notices

hello first time posting mostly I have just been creeping in the background I had a question regarding ovi maps on the n900. CAN the n900 physically run the updated ovi maps with turn by turn? The reason I ask is that on my facebook I commented on the nokia site that they should get some one to work on the ovi maps for n900 since it sucks and my e71 can do it and this was their response "Nokia US ‎@Jake The Maemo OS has been open source since day 1. We will be releasing another firmware update to the N900 very soon. @Jorge, the Maemo OS cannot run Turn by Turn Navigation."

Last edited by neurok; 2010-10-08 at 17:51.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
sygic is turn by turn navigation. it runs on n900.
BITS of maemo are open source, not all of it.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Can you please give a more informative thread title? The way you have it now makes it sound like there's an actual ovi maps update on the N900. Perhaps adding a question mark or posing it more as a question. Thanks!

Last edited by jessi3k3; 2010-10-08 at 17:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jessi3k3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
sygic is turn by turn navigation. it runs on n900.
BITS of maemo are open source, not all of it.
Nokia Maps suppose to support navigation as Nokia Maps does. THe issue is that Nokia has not updated Meamo version to latest version of Maps. Maemo version is badly outdated and nothing indicates that Nokia is going to provide the update. And this not about voice navigation..

It is wrong to force people to buy 3th party application to get a decent working navigation to N900 when Nokia has a very good Maps 3.x for most it's other devices.

Probably MeeGo will get it, but that has nothing to do with N900 since Meego will not be supported officially by Nokia on N900.

Please search, this has been discussed many times before.

Welcome btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to teh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i dont see why it shouldnt. if nokia releases it, that is. but they wont, because of sygic.

all the other major nokia-devices are sold with included turn-by-turn-ovimaps nowadays...

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Ovi Maps on the N900 does do turn by turn directions. Just not voice guided.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Really? If it does please tell me how!

All I know that it can barely route but it wont show you any turning signs when u r supposed to take the next turn.

I could live with that if it would have instant reroute in case you miss the turn.
IMO Nokia maps on N900 has routing but not turn by turn nav. Voice or mute...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rooster13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
I wouldn't say it does turn by turn. Maemo version of Maps creates a route on the map, that's it. There is no re-route, if you don't follow the calculated route, Maps does not re-route..nor does it update the remaining distance/time. Crucial things when using navigation while driving.

It also does not allow own POIs, offline search etc.

Shortly, it's a badly crippled version of Nokia Maps (compared to current version of it available to other Nokia devices)

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Finland / UK
This is one of the lacking features in the n900 which really annoyes me. Since you can buy a Nokia symbian phone for just over a 100€ with GPS and OVI Maps with turn by turn. I knew when I got my N900 that it lacked some features, but I naively thought that Nokia would fill in those gaps with firmware updates. For a phone of this price we should have got a lot more updates from the Nokia camp. But since the announcement of Meego little effort has been put into Maemo 5.

Even my N810 tablet using Maemo 4 had voice turn by tur navigation offered though by Wayfinder. It worked great even though it lacked in features.

Tags
search broken?