Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
While we sit and TRY to find ways to gain momentum in making Maemo even better down the line, Samsung has its own Linux based smartphone/tablet device in development. Eldar Murtazin of Mobile-Review has had a chance to review an early prototype, and he's more impressed with the Samsung model, which isn't planned until 2011, than the N900 which is coming in a month or two.

Samsung has been a strong Nokia competitor of recent note, and this may be bad news for Maemo. What do you guys think of someone like Eldar being impressed with a prototype over a near production device? I know Maemo 6 will probably be on the scene by then, but Eldar also talked about how buggy and crash prone the N900 is, having crashed 24 times to the N97's 4 in the same time span. My N97 with the latest firmware hardly ever crashed under extreme use, and would take days to crash 4 times, so I'm shocked, to say the least.

Is this something we should be worried about?

check http://twitter.com/eldarmurtazin for the full details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
While we sit and TRY to find ways to gain momentum in making Maemo even better down the line, Samsung has its own Linux based smartphone/tablet device in development. Eldar Murtazin of Mobile-Review has had a chance to review an early prototype, and he's more impressed with the Samsung model, which isn't planned until 2011, than the N900 which is coming in a month or two.

Samsung has been a strong Nokia competitor of recent note, and this may be bad news for Maemo. What do you guys think of someone like Eldar being impressed with a prototype over a near production device? I know Maemo 6 will probably be on the scene by then, but Eldar also talked about how buggy and crash prone the N900 is, having crashed 24 times to the N97's 4 in the same time span. My N97 with the latest firmware hardly ever crashed under extreme use, and would take days to crash 4 times, so I'm shocked, to say the least.

Note he mentioned the NXXX.... which i think he is referring to the nokia n920 he had mentioned earlier. In any case competition is good for all of us!

My n810 rarely crashes in comparison to my n95 which crashes regularly. Dont worry maemo is definitely solid than s60.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
sachin007, do you have the N95-1, 2, 3, or 4? My N95-2 hasn't crashed since January. VERY stable. What firmware you running? I can't help but think I have a solution for you. What crashes it most times?

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Its obvious that Eldar has old firmware on his N900. If you follow the twitter reactions, @qgil and @chansearrington have already called him out on this. Maemo is ridiculously stable I really can't remember a crash on my N810 since Diablo, I can't imagine fremantle being that unstable when it ships.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
sachin007, do you have the N95-1, 2, 3, or 4? My N95-2 hasn't crashed since January. VERY stable. What firmware you running? I can't help but think I have a solution for you. What crashes it most times?
I have the n95-8gb the NAM version. No updates at all

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
What do you guys think of someone like Eldar being impressed with a prototype over a near production device?
Honestly, I think the device that he has is far from being a near-production device considering how quickly he was rushing to get his review out before anyone else.
And, this is the biased side of me but, I don't think Eldar is "someone", anymore (i.e. a person that I should regard with respect, considering his knowledge on a particular topic ).

Thanks for the heads-up though. At least I know, now, not to bother visiting mobile-review again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess a watchdog reboot may be interpreted as a crash...

and what details on that samsung?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i think some one at nokia as upset eldar lol
he was talking good of the n900 and nokia and calling the n900 device of the year, but this last week or so i've noticed a big U turn.
btw 2 years is long time away most prototypes made that far in advance never even make it to market and if they do the device changes many times before then.
we will also see the fruits of nokias long term plans for QT, Maemo and symbian come togother by then, then we'll have a whole different ball game.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Rather than discredit him, can someone please just get him the latest firmware

He's still the guy on the soapbox with a N900 and all it takes is an updated software.