Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
If the announcement is about the Ovi store we can already access and download from by typing in the address, this respectfully seems not worth calling a press event for. Not many apps and still not at same level as other options.

If they are planning to also launch development incentives and resources ($$) for Maemo 5 and get their marketing teams on board too for direction- THAT would be worth a press event, since it would signal Nokia is putting serious resources into building the app community.

I appreciate the store is also for Symbian and earlier Maemo versions, but all eyes appear to be on what Nokia will do (or not) with Maemo 5.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/18/n...news-promised/

Wonder if this is why I can't login to the Ovi store all of a sudden. Keeps saying my password is wrong (which I know it isn't) and when I go to have it send my "forgotten" password, the special image that needs to appear so you can type the special code does not show up.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i cant sign in either it says invalid etc. details are 100% correct b/c they are saved in browser and only used it last night.
be nice if Ovi for Maemo gets some feature enhancements and more supported services at the announcement but i have a feeling its all for OVI on symbian.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
couldn't it also be some local thing? like a deal with a carrier etc? it explicitely says "nokia UK team". i doubt they'd annouce something of worldwide relevance this way.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
they already have deals in place in UK with all big operators for OVI store partnerships including carrier billing. some offer other services like messaging too.
Its just going to be abount next gen Ovi services. theres an event in US too

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
couldn't it also be some local thing? like a deal with a carrier etc? it explicitely says "nokia UK team". i doubt they'd annouce something of worldwide relevance this way.
Considering Anssi Vanjoki is the main speaker i don't think so.
There's btw a threat about this.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i thought the re-launch of the store was already communicated and is scheduled for march? - whatever, it'll be news and i love news.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i thought the re-launch of the store was already communicated and is scheduled for march? - whatever, it'll be news and i love news.
Well, it looks like they are now going to make it official! Call me crazy but I'm sure they will also present some stuff they've kept hidden behind their back until now. May be some new apps? May be a roadmap for a revamped Ovi Maps? Well, I'm certainly looking forward to what Nokia has to say!

Last edited by Haus3r; 2010-01-18 at 18:44.

Nokia N87 + OVI 2.0

I'm kid of disappointed with the Ovi store. Aside from the lack of apps (which, I understand perfectly, it's a matter of not enough apps ported/made for the N900 out there at this time), the whole app install process is to damned tedious.

Click on app

Click on download

Sign in (if you haven't already)

Click Download again

Wait for App manager to start and do it's thing.

Close app manager.

Click "back" button to go back to the app list.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the N900. But Nokia could take a lesson from the Apple store and the Android software market.